Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: SQL connection string Post Reply Post New Topic
cyber-guys
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote cyber-guys Replybullet Topic: SQL connection string
    Posted: 06 Jan 2010 at 12:06pm
I have a SQL Express 2005 DB that I want users to access using Crystal viewer - is it possible to imbed the connection string into a report so that users can create a report without entering a password?

Thanks in advance,
Cyber-guys
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 10:39am
I do not believe it is possible to embed the connection string in the report.  The only way that we get around having anybody enter userid, password is using Crystal Enterprise.
IP IP Logged
cyber-guys
Groupie
Groupie

Quote cyber-guys Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 4:15pm
I've seen a couple of references to imbedded connection strings in CR but no real info.  I was hoping that someone might have some ideas on how if at all.

I use Logicity Suite to automate reports (schedule, email, save, etc.)- it imbeds the connection string & works quite nicely.  It will work as a viewer but requires a fair amount of setup up front, its also easily messed up if a user gets curious.  I'm trying to avoid adding another level of headaches.  A web based solution would do the trick but I have neither the time nor the expertise (nor the budget) to take that aproach. 

By the way - Logicity Suite (http://www.logicitysuite.com) is a FANTASTIC product - I use an older version of the freebie but the paid version is only $45 & does even more so anyone looking to automate their Crystal Reports should take a look.  I schedule about a dozen reports every night, save a pdf copy of each & email them to upper management, accounting, etc.  They like the reports so much they want them on demand now! 

Thanks,
Cyber-guys Smile
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:08am
Sounds like a cool product.  We are pretty heavily immersed in Crystal Enterprise (far beyond just scheduling some reports).
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version