Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: user-defined parameters for choosing data tables Post Reply Post New Topic
Gatekeeper

Online Status: Offline
Quote Gatekeeper Replybullet Topic: user-defined parameters for choosing data tables
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:23am
I have used parameters before for record selection. I do not see how the "create new parameter" dialog box in crystal reports XI can be utilized for setting up parameters for which two tables to compare in a new comparison report. I actually think that because the tables are SQL Server 2005 tables that using Access to perform this comparison query would be easier. Hey, is there a way to automatically launch an Access query from within Crystal Reports once parameters are chosen from a pick list?And then import and display the results from that Access query in Crystal Reports as well?(similiar to writing a VBA module in Access)Yes, I think with SQL code?I am weak in the coding area.I like my GUIs.Please help.Thank you.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:09pm

There is no way to dynamically select tables in directly Crystal without writing code.  However, you could create a stored procedure on your database that would take the parameters passed to it from Crystal and do the table comparison that you're looking for. 

The challenge is that the stored procedure must ALWAYS return a dataset with the exact same fields in it.  If you were to write non-SQL code to set the tables at runtime, this is also the case.  Crystal does NOT handle changing dataset structures at run time very well and is likely to crash if you try to.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version