It should look like this
----------------------------------------
NumberVar Supplier;
If not IsNull ({Table.FieldX})
    Then Supplier := {Table.FieldX}
    Else Supplier := Supplier;
    Supplier
----------------------------------

The difference if the semi colon at the end of then part of THEN statement line. The ';' marks the end of a line of code or process so it is seeing the IF-THEN as valid but picks up the ELSE as not being a part of the entire IF-THEN-ELSE statement.

Hope it helps

John W.
Regards,

John W.
www.CustomReportWriters.net
IP IP Logged
Rick

Online Status: Offline
Quote Rick Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 6:50am
Thanks John,

The formula gives me no more errors, but it also doesn't give me any results! I.e., it results in a null-value.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 7:32am
Taking a step back and taking into account your need to have only the 1600 records that have a 4622 record, I think there's an easier, but completely different way to do this......

1.  In the Database Expert, add a second copy of the Bookings table - Crystal will ask you to give it an "Alias" so it can distinguish it from the first copy of the table.  I'm going to call it "Bookings_4622".  Link from the Bookings table to the Bookings_4622 table on the booking# field.  Do NOT change the link options - this needs to be an inner join.

2.  In the Select Expert, set a filter on {Bookings.account} = 1600 and another one on {Bookings_4622.account} = 4622.

3.  Set a group on {Bookings.account}.  In the group header put the invoice and supplier information.  Set this to "Underlay Following".

4.  In a single details section put the information from the 4622 record, leaving space for the invoice and supplier info from the group header.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2007 at 7:46am

As I look at the formula it sets only a value to Supplier if there is a value other than null.

It does not seem to set a value if the field isNull, I would suggest setting a default value to Supplier for example 0 then see what happens
 ie.
----------------------------
numbervar Supplier := 0;
then the rest of the formula
----------------------------
John W.
IP IP Logged
Rick

Quote Rick Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 12:05am
Still doesn't work, unfortunately. I'll have to give the report some more thought, maybe another approach is necessary. Thanks a lot for your help guys, I certainly learned some new things!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2007 at 11:10am
I haven't read all this thread, I'm just scanning through today's questions to see the activity and caught the tail end of this one. I agree with John. The formula you listed effectively says "If Supplier is Null then return Supplier". That doesn't make any sense because it will return Null. I would remove the 'Not' from in front of IsNull() otherwise Null will return Null.

Again, I haven't read the thread so I might be totally off base. But that formula just doesn't make sense with the Not in it.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Rick

Quote Rick Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 3:02am

The formula with "not IsNull" results in the supplier# in the detail row for account# 1600 (where supplier# was already filled in the table in the first place) and null for account# 4622 (where the value for supplier# was null). So, no change from what was already in the table.

When using the formula without "not", it results in null for both detail rows.

Although this topic is already exceeding my novice knowlegde of CR, I am trying to catch up. It helps me a lot, I am still discovering everything...
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2007 at 9:09am

Have you tried it this way?

If not IsNull ({Table.FieldX})
    Then Supplier := {Table.FieldX};
Supplier

The other thing is that you can get around using this formula at all if you follow my last suggestion to bring in a second copy of the Booking table, linked by booking# to the first copy of Booking and filtering Booking_1 on account# = 1600 and Booking_2 on account# = 4622.  (There are other instructions in that post for grouping an layout.)

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Rick

Quote Rick Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2007 at 12:27am
I have tried the idea of using a second table, I have to check what possibilities it gives me and what the limitations are.
Anyway, I have tried to solve the matter in a more drastic way: the database has been changed so that future bookings for account# 4622 come with a supplier#. But your ideas are helpful to get the same information on past bookings. Thanks for your help!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version