Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: which type of join? Post Reply Post New Topic
rocketgirl

Online Status: Offline
Quote rocketgirl Replybullet Topic: which type of join?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 12:04am
Hi, I have a problem with data not appearing on a report even though it is one of the tables

In simple terms we have Sales (all transactions), Products (all details relating to an item), and On Order (all outstanding orders)

An item that is On Order has had no sales yet so is not in Sales table, although it does have details in Products

I am only seeing records where there is something in Sales, regardless of the type of join used

I have tried every combination of joins between these tables  - what would you suggest?

I have been using Crystal for about 6 years, currently on version XI and have always managed to solve this type of problem up to now but I am stumped Angry

Thanks
Rocketgirl

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:13am
I would think the links would be something like
product left outer join OnOrder left outer join sales...not the best for performance as the resulting table could be huge.

I outer join to the OnOrder as you didn't mentioned what happened to an order once received.  If it stays in the OnOrder table then you can Inner join to it.

At least that is what I would do with the information given.
IP IP Logged
rocketgirl

Quote rocketgirl Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:34am
Thanks, that has solved one of my issues

BTW, OnOrder becomes Warehouse stock on receipt and moves to a different table but I have applied the same links to show that as well

I am unclear though what enforcing the links does,  or not - can you throw any light?
Thanks
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 3:09am
no, DBlank and a couple of others have posts on the forum about what and when enforcing a link does...

it is something like Crystal shows entries in table 2, even though the link would bar them...but I am not sure. 

Since I use stored procs to gather my data, I haven't needed to worry about Enforce Links.

Sorry I don't know more.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version