Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: URGENT - Rpt Connected to Oracle Store Proc Post Reply Post New Topic
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Topic: URGENT - Rpt Connected to Oracle Store Proc
    Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:02pm
For performance reasons, I've had to take a very complex command that I was using in a report and re-work it in a stored procedure.  Actually, it's complex enough with lots of dynamic SQL generation based on the parameters so I've had to put it into a package.  (The result set always returns the same fields, it just the joins and where clauses in multiple sub-selects that change.)

The procedure works great - I' seeing a 10 to 20-fold performance increase and in testing I'm showing that it's returning the correct data.

However, when try to use the procedure in a report, it's not returning any data even though the sample report is using one of the same sets of parameters that I've been testing where I know the SP returns data.

Here's how I've accessed the SP:

1.  In the Database Expert, open the connection, go to the correct Schema, and the to Qualifiers.  Here I see all of the packages in this schema.
2.  Open the package that I need and select my SP.
3.  Enter values for all of the parameters (2 datetimes and 5 strings).

I put the fields from the SP on the report, but no data appears.

HELP!!  The project manager has committed to a couple of the major users that we will have something available for them to test tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Dell
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2011 at 5:14am
I found the problem - for some reason Crystal won't work with Oracle Stored Procs that are using dynamic SQL.  When I re-wrote the stored proc to run hard-coded queries based on the parameters instead of dynamically writing the query based on the parameters, it works fine....  It's not as elegant a solution but at this point it works so my client is happy.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version