Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Question re Refreshing of data in Report Post Reply Post New Topic
kcbrent

Online Status: Offline
Quote kcbrent Replybullet Topic: Question re Refreshing of data in Report
    Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 5:40am

It was suggested that I ask this question under this forum topic:

It has been a while since I last used crystal Reports but I am currently creating a report that retrieves data from the database. The object of this report is to bring back data as information is added to the database (constantly populating with current data). Basically  this is live data, so as more data is added, my intentions is to place a link within either a simple HTML page or ASP page and the user will then click a button, launch the report in the viewer, and print it to physical paper. The only way I have found to get it to work, is that I have to refresh while I am in the Crystal Reports application (Not the viewer but the actual app), and then the data will refresh, but once I save the report, the information seems to pretty much be static at that point. The trouble I am having is that when I open the report, it does not refresh/pull new data from the database but rather contains whatever data was in the report when I initially = saved it.

Issue:

I have read across the internet including this forum here, where people have said all you need to do is uncheck the option: File -> Save Data with Report and this should solve the problem.  I have done just that and when you view the report in Crystal Reports Viewer afterwards, it then brings up a dialogue box telling you it cannot display any data and that you need to go to Crystal reports and enable "Save Data with Report". So not sure why people are saying this solves the problem when it won't work afterwards (?), but anyhow, how do I get this report to refresh data when the report is opened in CR Viewer or any app of the sort? Additionally, you cannot refresh within the viewer application so you have to open Crystal Reports itself.

Is there some options I am missing? I think when I originally worked with CR, it was through VB.Net, so I have never really worked with a standalone Report, which I need, as I need it to be portable.

Thank you

IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 12:45am
You skipped the "save report" before you ran it to test it. Most sure way I know is to rewrite the report but save it first before you run it and do not save it after. I know it's doing it the hard way since I've been there myself.
IP IP Logged
kcbrent

Quote kcbrent Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 12:56am
Thanks for the reply. So if I understand correctly:

Recreate the report but Make sure I save it before I run it for the first time? Then dont resave it after that fact? And I assume I need to select the option to save it without data, right?
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:02pm
You've got it. I made that mistake early on and it's what I had to do to fix it.

Edited by CircleD - 11 Jun 2012 at 6:04pm
IP IP Logged
kcbrent

Quote kcbrent Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 9:59am

I have had to create a new report and tried the above mentioned steps, this did not work. I created a new blank report, did a few things, then I saved it out with the option for "Save data with report" turned off/unchecked. I then opened it up outside of Crystal Reports  and inside of the CR Viewer and I get a message stating "No saved Data" and some info stating I need to save data with report.

If you save with data, it will not refresh and always keep that data in the report. Then again, if you save without data, it tells you that you have to have that option checked and no data can be displayed.

Therefore,  I must be doing something wrong. How do I create a new Report that will refresh data from a database live? In such that if I open it up, it will bring in data  and update the report

Thank you.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version