Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Splitting a field Post Reply Post New Topic
mrc161

Online Status: Offline
Quote mrc161 Replybullet Topic: Splitting a field
    Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 11:17am
Hello.  One of the tables I utilize has a field that has multiple pieces of data in it separated by commas.

So in other words, the field has the option of having up to 7 numbers, which would look like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

However, for each record, there may just be one or two, so each record would be different (one might be 1,2,3; another might be 2,4,7; etc, etc).

Each of these numbers has a corresponding description that I want to incorporate into a report, although the description is not actually included in any tables.

So if 1=No Memo; 2=No Source; 3=No Purchase, if the record has 1,2,3, I want it to reflect as "No Memo,No Source,No Purchase".  But if it is 1,3, I want it to reflect "No Memo,No Purchase."

Any way I can accomplish this without figuring out every possible combination between 1 through 7 and utilizing an if statement to plug the descriptions in?

Thanks!  Mike
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 11:39am
I would use the Split() function to put the numbers into an array and then use the Choose() function to assign text to the string based upon the number. Here is a test function I wrote. Replace the test fields with your report fields and change the text in the Choose() function accordingly.
StringVar YourField;
StringVar Array ValueArray;
NumberVar ArrayIndex;
StringVar YourDescription;
YourField := "1,3,5";
//Trim that trailing comma because it adds an unnecssary extra element
YourField := Mid(YourField, 1, Len(YourField)-1);
ValueArray := Split(YourField,",");
For ArrayIndex:= 1 to UBound(ValueArray) Do
(
    YourDescription := YourDescription + Choose(Val(ValueArray[ArrayIndex]), "field1", "field2", "field3", "field 4", "field5") + ",";
);
//Trim the trailing comma
YourDescription := Mid(YourDescription, 1, Len(YourDescription)-1);

You can find out about these formulas and all the other Crystal Reports functions in Chapter 7, Writing Formulas, of my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia.

Edited by BrianBischof - 28 Jan 2008 at 11:42am
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
mrc161

Quote mrc161 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jan 2008 at 12:14pm
Thank you.  I had tried playing around with both Split and Choose but wasn't getting anywhere with them so I will try this!  Mike
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version