Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Re-saved report won't execute Post Reply Post New Topic
frenchymarky

Online Status: Offline
Quote frenchymarky Replybullet Topic: Re-saved report won't execute
    Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 4:00pm

We have a website with a xxxxx.rpt on it that displays and prints our phone list.  I didn't write it and am not very familiar with CR.  As of now we have CR 10, but when I open the existing .rpt file (which works) into CR 10, even if I save it with no changes, it no longer works on the website.  Also when it is opened, I get the message that it must be renamed because it has read-only attributes in it.  However even if I save it with a different name and then rename it to the production file name, it won't execute.  Another weirdity is that the size of the saved file is only about 1/4 as big as the original??  Any thoughts or suggestions?    Could the version of CR they used to write the original be an issue?

Thank you!
Mark French
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 4:25pm
I don't know the answer, but I bet you are correct that it was created with an earlier version of CR and saving it in CR10 corrupts the file. Have you looked at the CR  DLLs on the web server to see which version they are? This will tell you what version is running the current reports.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
frenchymarky

Quote frenchymarky Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 4:44pm
I don't see any DLLs in relation to this part of the website, it was created partly with something called "Recrystalize Pro Web Publishing Wizard" and there is rptserver.asp page with code that refers to that in it.  As well a few other .asp pages.  I know I would never be able to create this whole thing on my own, I am sort of a learn-as-I-go only-guy-left website person here.  We only need to make teeny tweaks to the CR report format and I was hoping I would not have to mess with anything other than the .rpt file.  Is there any way I can find out what version the .rpt file was originally written with? 
I am scrounging up any previous CR versions we can find around here.  The people that wrote all this are of course, gone 
: (  All I can think to do is try opening the .rpt with those previous versions and see if the file size comes out the same.
Thanks!
Marky
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 4:59pm
Somewhere on the server has to be the DLLs that generate the report.  Use Windows file search for "Crystal*" or "CRY*" to see what that finds. Then right-click on it and select properties to get the version number.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
frenchymarky

Quote frenchymarky Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 8:15am

Pardon my ignorance (I am the default 'webmaster' here (yeah right!))

This site was written in ASP, so all I see is .asp pages, no DLLs but maybe I am looking in the wrong place, I am just looking at the source code.  Am I supposed to be looking somewhere else?  When I make changes to the website it's only to the .asp pages, pdfs, etc.

I was able to contact the person who originally implemented this report and he suggested I use the current CR10, but change how it is implemented - from the ReCrystalize that he used then, to using CR10's implementation methods instead.

How difficult is it to have an existing CR report open up on the website, which reads in some ODBC tables?  Is it pretty straightforward without a lot of knowledge of ODBC and CR required, if the report is already done?It's just a phone list of our department with about 6 pages, not real complicated.  When we pull it up now the .asp page lets the user select from one to four counties for whittling the report down to which phone #s they want to include.

Thanks a bunch from a newbie.
Marky
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version