Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Migrating Reference Table from Access to SQL Post Reply Post New Topic
bonsmcook

Online Status: Offline
Quote bonsmcook Replybullet Topic: Migrating Reference Table from Access to SQL
    Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 12:49pm
Is there any way that the name of database files can be changed within a Crystal Report without having to completely rewrite the report?  We have just installed the Crystal Report server, it will distribute scheduled reports and allow users to request and run reports.  Previously report distribution was happening from my desktop so I am very happy about this improvement.  However, our financial set of reports were pulling the G/L data from a SQL Server (which gets data from a near real-time push  from an antiquated GL system) but I was using an Excel spreadsheet linked to an ACCESS database to direct the placement of each account on the P&L and to determine/designate the subtotals or "groups"(contribution margin, ebitda, total revenues, etc.)  We want to move the Excel spreadsheet to the SQL Server to maximize the performance of the Crystal reports server.  I want to avoid having to rewrite all of the formulas and subtotals in the P&L reports (3report versions all use the same Excel look-up sheet)

Thanks in advance to all who have a failsafe way to tackle this!!!!
SMCook
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 2:45pm
The Access piece should be failrly straight-forward. 

- Open the report.
- Go to the Database menu and log on to the SQL Server.
- Go to the Database menu and click on "Set Datasource Location"
- Point the table from the Access database to the table in the SQL Server database and fix all the field references.

You may be able to do the same thing with the Excel file, but I haven't worked with them as data sources so I'm not sure.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version