mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mikebird Replybullet Topic: Commenting //
    Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 1:51am
Please help

When I comment a line using the //

button in the formula editor, it becomes green, all is well, the bit is not incorporated next time I run things but the next time I open the editor that bit is also gone for good.

This is no good! I need to keep these! It always happens!

Is this a bug? Is it an option I can switch on or off?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
kkcsrao

Quote kkcsrao Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:23am
Hi,
If some line is commented in a formula, it remains the same when ever its run.. There is no such option of switching with different cases.
kc
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 2:41am
You've confused me here. Maybe I've described it wrongly.

To put a comment after a line, sure nothing changes - it's a note. But I mean commenting OUT a part of a formula - one line or several. I see more in SQL than Crystal. An everyday need to remove a function of some of a job in a whole for testing purposes and find what's wrong.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is that if I do this, either by typing this // in front of a line or using the (version XI for all I know, maybe 10) this function is removed when run, but going back the the editor it's removed. That is UNACCEPTABLE! I have to REMEMBER what that was and type it in again! My car's steering wheel just fell out of the window! Can't have this! Did this ever happen to anyone? Anyone use a programming editor? PHP, C#, VB, ASP? SQL? Can't have commented-out text disappearing! Used Crystal since 2001 and it never happened!

What's up?
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 9:08am

I have an explanation why I might have thought this. Only one example so far. You should be able to see why I've been so troubled, as a SQL developer...

If I comment out a line, an OR condition, when I come back to it and it seems the line has now been deleted, maybe it's been put somewhere else in the script in a special order which I'm not aware of. The order doesn't matter, but it's nice to have it in the order you put it in. Not nice.
IP IP Logged
andymc

Quote andymc Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 10:38am
The only place that commenting out part of a formula will remove the comment when you next go into the editor is in Selection Formulas using the Select Expert.

It won't remove the comment if you access the selection formula by
Report/Selection Formulas/Record .  I recommend you always use this method and avoid using the wizard driven Select Expert at all.

Andymc
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version