Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Instructions Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
dugfmjamul

Online Status: Offline
Quote dugfmjamul Replybullet Topic: Instructions
    Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 1:52pm
Brian,
Could you please post some instructions to recreate your examples Figure 6-5 and Figure 6-6 pages 105-106 of Crystal Reports .NET Programming. I'm having trouble with the photos, when I add them to a standard report the fields do not appear in the report.

Thanks,
dugfmjamul
dugfmjamul
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 3:53pm
Figure 6-5 is the Employee sample report that gets installed with CR. You can open that one up and look at it from the samples. It's in the examples folder. I think I did the same for Figure 6-6, but I forget now.

What's not showing up? The photos or the fields with text in them?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dugfmjamul

Quote dugfmjamul Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 5:31pm
Brian,

When I add the Product_Type.Picture field thru the Standard Report Expert window the field does not show up in the loaded report. Your InvertoryUnderlay.rpt report displays the Blob field: Product_Type.Picture just fine.  What procedure did you perform to get the desired results?

Thanks again and GO PADRES!
dugfmjamul

Edited by dugfmjamul - 08 Aug 2007 at 5:34pm
dugfmjamul
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 08 Aug 2007 at 6:00pm
I didn't do anything special. Just drag and drop. You don't have a GIF file do you? CR doesn't display GIF files. Does it outline where the image should go? I've seen something in the past where if you have a different file association for the JPG and a non-compatible application then that can cause a problem. But that was years ago and I don't remember the details. Still, you might check the file association for your image type (but that's just a guess).

"Go Padres"    You live in San Diego or from here?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
dugfmjamul

Quote dugfmjamul Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 11:34am
Brian,

The picture is from the xtreme.mdb database Product_Type.Picture field and listed in Properties (your Inventory.rpt) as a Kind: crBlobFieldObject. Drag and drop from the Standard Report Expert into the Group Header #1 Section is not allow.

Interesting note is that your InventoryUnderlay.rpt Show SQL Query lists the Product_Type.Picture field but it does not show up as a field in your InventoryUnderlay.rpt Standard Report Expert window and I can not get the Product_Type.Picture field added to the Report Designer no matter how many times I add the field thru the Standard Report Expert.

SELECT `Product`.`Product ID`, `Product`.`Product Name`, `Product`.`M/F`, `Purchases`.`Units in Stock`, `Product_Type`.`Product Type Name`, `Product_Type`.`Picture`
 FROM   (`Product` `Product` INNER JOIN `Product Type` `Product_Type` ON `Product`.`Product Type ID`=`Product_Type`.`Product Type ID`) INNER JOIN `Purchases` `Purchases` ON `Product`.`Product ID`=`Purchases`.`Product ID`
 ORDER BY `Product_Type`.`Product Type Name`

You state on page 106 "put the photo in the group header on the left most portion of the page" and once again on page 107 with Printing a Watermark. You need to demostrate how to do this from a database blob field into the Report Designer.

Thanks again for the quick response time and Jamul is 30 mins East of San Diego.

dugfmjamul GO PADRES Clap

dugfmjamul
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 12:13pm
It doesn't let you put it in the Group Header? That doesn't make sense. It's perfectly okay to put a blob in a group header. Hmmmm... There is something else going on here. I would have to look into it. My VS 2003 VMWare image is on my computer at home and I can't look at it now. But there has to be something else going wrong here that is causing the problem. It's not a blob issue.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 12:20pm
Oh yeah - also want to make sure you have the latest service packs installed. Even though I don't know if this is the problem, it's amazing how many 'reporting quirks'  are solved after getting the lastest SP installed.
IP IP Logged
dugfmjamul

Quote dugfmjamul Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 12:46pm
I have  CRNET11WIN_EN_SP2 Installed.

How did you add the blob field from the xtreme.mdb database into the Report Designer?

Thanks,
dugfmjamul

Edited by dugfmjamul - 09 Aug 2007 at 12:47pm
dugfmjamul
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 2:05pm
I just dragged and dropped from the Field Explorer. Nothing special.
IP IP Logged
dugfmjamul

Quote dugfmjamul Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2007 at 2:24pm
Brian,

Thanks for the time yes, I just use Field Explorer about 15 mins ago and not the Standard Report Export and it works just fine. I wanted to post this before you figured it out, but you beat me to the punch.

Thanks for your time,
dugfmjamul GO PADRES Big%20smile

p.s. As you can tell I'm new to CR and trying to follow your book word for word, chapter by chapter until I finish your book.
dugfmjamul
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version