Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Font Sizing Bug?? Post Reply Post New Topic
ckapilla

Online Status: Offline
Quote ckapilla Replybullet Topic: Font Sizing Bug??
    Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 2:21pm
I can't believe I'm asking this question, but I have to believe my lyin' eyes -- When I select a font size for a text object on a report, after focus leaves the control, the font size shrinks to a smaller size. At first I thought maybe this is just something CR does in design view, but the font stays shrunken at run-time also. This is not an optical illusion, it really is an incorrect size.

And this is not just the separate issue that if I request a 10pt font, CR insists on changing it to 9.75.  It reports that the font is 9pts and it is not!

There must be something I'm missing, some feature somewhere that says use smaller fonts than requested(!), because I can't believe a product that's been around this long can't get one of the most basic operations there is correct!

Dead

Chris K
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 3:04pm
I'm not sure if this will help you, but on p. 546 of my book I list the registry entry to tell CR not to shrink fonts when exported to PDF (this is done by default to make sure everything fits on the PDF page).

Use RegEdit.exe to add the following registry field and give it a value of 1:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\Export\PDF\ForceLargeFonts

Anyway, try this out and let us know if it fixes your problem as well.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
ckapilla

Quote ckapilla Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 3:49pm
Thanks for your reply; it's good to know there is in fact a 'font shrinkage' factor in CR, and I'm not totally crazy. However, the funny thing is that even though I am in fact eventually exporting this report to PDF, the shrinkage occurs even in native mode -- is CR psychic and figured out ahead of time that I'm going to be sending the report to PDF format? 

Thanks for the registry tip, alas the book I just received doesn't have a page 546 (I bought the .net version, which I guess applies more to older versions. I just got going with CR XI today, so didn't consider ordering that book last week (didn't know it was relevant).

As you can see the registry field youtyped in above did not come through.
I have just gone ahead and set my font size to 10 (which becomes 9.75) which looks like 9 on every other application on my computer. But I would like to use the PDF tweak anyway, so if there is some way you can get it to show up, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2007 at 4:09pm
Yes, the CR.NET book only applies to .NET 2003 and is out of date now. The new book "Encyclopedia" just came out and applies to CR XI/R2. I just started working on the update for CR.NET 2005 this week and that book will be out ~ Jan 2008.

Re the registry entry, the only thing that would make sense in design mode is if the printer you have chosen for the report is an Adobe PDF printer and thus CR realizes that the final destination is a PDF file. CR always customizes the print in design mode to fit the current printer driver you selected (this is to get more accurate placement on each printer). If you have a typical printer selected, then I don't know why this font problem is occurring.

Re the registry entry, you have to create it yourself. All the levels should already be there, but you need to add the "ForceLargeFonts" field and set it to 1. Let me know if this helps at all.

Edited by BrianBischof - 07 Sep 2007 at 4:10pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version