Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Strange thing Happening Post Reply Post New Topic
abhi81

Online Status: Offline
Quote abhi81 Replybullet Topic: Strange thing Happening
    Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 1:31pm
Has any one ever encountered a problem like this:

The suppression formula for one of the fields(Page Header 1b) works perfectly while testing it in the designer but when fired the same report from an asp page the formula seems to be stop working and the suppressed section shows always.

Any ideas....any one.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 1:58pm
That doesn't make any sense because its the same report engine running the report. How about trying that formula on other sections just to see what happens? Also try creating a new header section and associate the formula witht that one and move your objects into it. Maybe delete the original section and add it again? Something behind the scenes is buggy and by changing things up you might reset something to make it start working again.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
abhi81

Quote abhi81 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 4:18pm
Hello Brian,
After posting to the forum I also noticed something. Say if the report had 4 invoice reports with any number of pages in them.

When they were rendered for the first time the section which should have been suppressed  weren't and when i  browsed back the records section was suppressed,i.e., to say when i browsed through the records from 1 till last page the section was not suppressed but when i did the reverse from last page to the first page they were.

I am not able to think of any reason why that wud happen.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2007 at 4:25pm
That doesn't make any sense. Could the report file be corrupted? I don't know. Does the record suppression formula use a value that gets set near the end of the report? Thus, you have to go to the end to trigger the record suppression (at which point going forward would now start working as well). I would think something funny is happening with the formula.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
abhi81

Quote abhi81 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2007 at 10:39am
The formula i used used the total pagecount variable which i think is causing the problem. I am not able to devise another formula replacing it.
Basically this is what i have:
PHa-Company Logo
PHb-Header for Details sections fields
GH1a-Order Num and associated records
GH1b-Header for Details sections fields
Da-the Detail records can grow to next page
GF1a-The subtotal,total and tax information
GF1b-sub report for Personalized items
GF1c-sub report for internal coments
PF-Companies address

I want to suppress PHb when it is first page and is not subreports in GF1b or GF1c which appear only if they are not empty.

I am also reseting the page after every invoice.

Is there some other way I can accomplish this.
IP IP Logged
abhi81

Quote abhi81 Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 6:53am

Hello guys,

Just wanted to share the resolution to the above problem. To have the desired result I had to make a slight design change. I took out the Page header section where i was trying to implement the formula and instead introduced a group header and implemented the repeat group header concept.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version