Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Passing date parameter to crystal from stored proc Post Reply Post New Topic
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote dbodell Replybullet Topic: Passing date parameter to crystal from stored proc
    Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 7:18am
I know this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find an answer to this. I have Crystal 2008. I have a stored procedure which I am using as the source of my data. There are two dates in my stored procedure as parameter variables. One is FromDate and the other is ToDate.
When I define these date fields in the stored proc as type DATE, Crystal brings the parameters in as strings, making them useless for entering parameter values with a calendar control.

When I define the dates as DATETIME fields, Crystal interprets them as dates but requires that the time be entered along with the date.

This seems like a really stupid problem with Crystal, especially since SQL 2008 introduced the DATE datatype. But given that it is a problem, has anyone got a workaround somehow? I need to restrict the data on the server because of performance issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Online Status: Offline
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 11:47am
yeah, what a pain.

if you want to use the calendar control, use datetime. When the user selects a date, CR will put the time component in...it's only entering it manually that is a pain.

In your stored proc, strip off the time compent as needed or convert it to a DATE.

Yes, SQL 2008 has Date, but do all the other data sources that CR supports?  There are an awful lot of back ends that CR supports so I can't completely vault them for making a rule...I do wish that they would interpret a date without a time as 00:00:00 and make everyone's life easier.

HTH 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version