Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: New to charts and need to drill down Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
DBlank

Online Status: Offline
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 7:50am
ill assume a bar chart then as I think that is the default.

right click on the chart object and select chart expert
the type tab is set to a bar chart (you can change it here if you want but not all types support drill down).
select the data tab
click on the 'group' option on the left. This is only avaialble if the report has a group and there is a summary of a field at the group level. the summary must be able to be made using the insert summary function (the sigma/blue "E" button).
if this option is disabled you need to check/fix your grouping and the summary field you inserted.
If it is enabled, select it and then select the desired options for the 'on change of' (one per grouping in the report) and show (summarization options of the data at the selected group)

Edited by DBlank - 15 Jan 2013 at 7:52am
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 7:58am
ok, i figured out what you were saying.
Yes, it is a bar graph.

I now have the hourglass and can double click on the individual bars.

Now, how do I put data behind the bars so that I see stuff on the drill downs?

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:13am

when you drill into it you are drilling into the group. really no different than drilling into a group name.

Just design the detail section and gh/gf sections to appear as you want it to and set them to be Hide drill down ok.
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:00am
I am trying to get the first drill down to work and am not making any progress.  Maybe I am not doing it right.  Here is what I have done:

I have created a new count and put it in group 1 with the other data the first chart was made from.  Double clicked and got a blank page.

I created a new group and put the count there.  Same as before, nothing but a blank page on the drill down.

Should I have created a new group?
Put in old group?
Done something else?

What am I missing?

I thought about creating a new chart for the count, but where would it go and how would it tie into being the drill down from the first chart?
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:30am
I created a new group on the field I want the second chart created from.  It comes up in the drill down.

However, It does not show the data correctly. 

This new field contains either Yes, No, or Blank.

For each manager in the first chart, I want to be able to drill down into the bar for that manager and see the counts of Yes, No, or Blank side by side in the second chart.

What I have gotten in my trying to make this work so far:

A single bar for Yes and a single bar for No in separate charts.
A single bar for No and nothing for Yes.

In my first chart, it allowed me to go a group chart.  This one will not allow me to choose Group in the Chart Expert.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:31am

in the section expert how do you have your groups set up?

If you have "Suppress(no drill down)" marked as true (checked) then your data is remains hidden when you drill into it. Uncheck these
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:12am
I got this to work by going into Chart Expert, Data tab and adding the new field to the On change of box, the show value box has Count of New Field.

Now I am working on the third chart, the next drill down.  I inserted a new section below the last one.  I now have Group 1a 1b, and 1c.

I can drill down from chart 1 to chart 2.  However, I cannot figure out how to get to chart 3 in the drill down.

Chart 1 is count by Manager, works
Chart 2 is count of Yes/No/Blank by Manager, works
Chart 3 is a count by Part Name by Manager, does not work

On preview, I double click on the desired managers bar.  It takes me to chart 2 as expected.  I then double click everywhere on chart 2 and it does not drill down.

What have I missed?

I tried to change the fields in the On change of box on Data tab of Chart Expert and it will only allow me to put 2 field names in the box.  It currently has Manager then Part Name, with count of Part Name.

IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:25am
I found Chart 3.  It is on the second page of the drill down.  Why?

The way it is now, chart 1 is on page1, which is correct.  I double click on that chart and it drills down to chart 2, correct.  At this point I cannot drill down to chart 3.  Chart 3 exists on page 2 of the drill down.

Why is it on page 2 of the drill down and not in a drill down from chart 2?
How can I get it to be a drill down from chart 2 to chart 3 and not be a 2nd page on chart 2's drill down?

Chart 1 shows count of all repair orders by manager.
Chart 2 shows a breakdown into Yes/No/Blank of the total repair orders by manager.
Chart 3 further breaks down the Yes/No/Blank into counts of individual part names.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:26am
If I understand you correctly chart 2 and chart 3 are confilcting with each other in how you can set up your report group structure.
I am not aware of a way (other than subreports which is not the same thing) to user drill down into two distinctly different group structures within the same report.
IP IP Logged
gloworm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote gloworm Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 6:28am
So what I may have to wind up doing is having chart 1 be as it is now.  On page 1 all by itself and having the capability of being drilled down into.

The subsequent charts would be separate pages in the drill down.

Right?
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version