Announcements
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: Grouping on a value returned from Subreport Post Reply Post New Topic
Savan

Online Status: Offline
Quote Savan Replybullet Topic: Grouping on a value returned from Subreport
    Posted: 18 Dec 2007 at 4:42am
Hi

I am having a report which is grouped on customer no. i m having a subreport in the main report linked with customer no and document no  feild in main report. I m returing back a field "unit" from the subreport.

i m displaying the value of the field "unit"  returned by subreport on the  main report.

Now i want to group report on customer no and unit (returned from subreport) or else i would like to group on customer no and then sort it
on group name --> unit (returned from subreport).

But i am not able to see the "unit" feild in which i click the sort by option in menu. Even i tried  by assing the unit in a shared variable in subreport and trapping it in main report.

IS there anyway to do this ?Smile

Thanks
Savan
IP IP Logged
Lugh

Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2007 at 5:37am
Unfortunately, probably not.  I think you are running up against the two-pass limit.  You may be out to pass four or five, actually, but that's beside the point.

One alternative may be to find some way to put the information you need back into the data source for the main report.  Does the data for the main report and the data for the subreport come from the same database?  One solution may be to add another join to your data source, joining to a simple aggregate query of the subreport's source.  For example:

SELECT Main.CustomerNo, Main.DocumentNo, Sub.UnitTotal
FROM Main
LEFT JOIN
    (SELECT CustomerNo, DocumentNo, SUM(Unit) AS UnitTotal
     FROM SubReportSourceTable
     GROUP BY CustomerNo, DocumentNo) Sub
ON Main.CustomerNo = Sub.CustomerNo
     AND Main.DocumentNo = Sub.DocumentNo

Does that help?

IP IP Logged
Savan

Quote Savan Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 2007 at 11:51pm
I dont have the option of using sql queries as i am getting the data from JD Edwards database and  and in crystal i am connecting through JD Edwards Enterprise one  drivers. There are two different tables used for the main report and sub report.

Confused anything else i can do?
Thanks
Savan
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 2007 at 6:55pm
I have not worked with the JD Edwards software. However, keep in mind that you can create SQL queries in Crystal Reports. You can add a Command object and place the query in it. If you have not tried this give it a go it might just work. In about 2 minutes you will know....

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version