Writing Code
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports .NET 2003 : Writing Code
Message Icon Topic: Versioning Headache Post Reply Post New Topic
Dave P

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dave P Replybullet Topic: Versioning Headache
    Posted: 07 Jan 2008 at 2:48am
When you drop a crystal component onto a web form (say a report viewer) it adds a declaration to the top of the web page, along with a declaration within the web config file.
The version the application was written for was 11.5.3300.0.
A client has recently updated Crystal XI to a later version (11.5.3700.0).
Now the application no longer runs because the declarations are out of step with the installed components. Is there any way to get round this without me having to do a rebuild with the newer components as every time a client gets a slightly different version I will have to do them a seperate build which is a maintenance nightmare!

Edited by Dave P - 07 Jan 2008 at 2:49am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 2:51pm
I suspect that they uninstalled the old version prior to installing the new one.  If they had just updated, both versions would have still been available.

I haven't tried this, but one possible option would be to include the versions of the Crystal files you app uses in the install for it so that they install in the same folder as your app.  One of the beauties of the .NET framework is that you can have multiple versions of the same .dll file loaded at the same time.  Applications look for the assemblies first in the application folder and then elsewhere on the computer based on information in the Global Assembly Cache (GAC).  You can determine what's in the GAC, including the version number, by looking at the C:\Windows\Assembly folder.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version