Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Sharing Conditional Variables Post Reply Post New Topic
bpmcnary

Online Status: Offline
Quote bpmcnary Replybullet Topic: Sharing Conditional Variables
    Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:20am
Hi,

I think my question is in regards to global variables, but I may be wrong.This is somewhat complex to explain!

I have a set of financial statements which uses the parameter "Fund Family". In these families, two entities can exist. Let's just call them A and B.

When I run the financials for a fund family, two sets of financial statements come out -- one for Fund A and one for Fund B. This is exactly what I wanted. The issue comes in when I attempt to share data to a supplementary report below the financials.

Because there are two sets of financials coming out, when I attempt to share my total assets to the supplemental, I get the wrong value. I'm trying to share the asset number for Fund A to specific place in the report, and then share the number for Fund B. Is there any easy way of setting these criteria?

If I could write the formula it would look somewhat like the below. Don't judge me, it's definitely incorrect, but that expresses it well.

IF Fund A then Shared Value FundATotalAssets
   ELSE Shared Value FundBTotalAssets

Any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Brandon

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 5:07am
is the supplemental report a subreport? if so, you want shared variables, not global.

I am not sure how you determine the Fund A for the formula, but it might need to be a variable as well.

Shared/global variables are pretty easy to use, they are used in formulas and tend to come in sets of 3:
reset, increment, display.

I think for your report though, you only really need the increment (or set in this case)

shared stringvar x := {table.field};
"" //will hide the setting of the variable.

to use the variable, all you need at the top of your of your formula is:
shared stringvar x;

now you can use x as if it was part of the formula/report and the value is whatever was set prior.

as a last note, := is the assignment operator for variables, and a global variable can be seen anywhere in a report, while a shared variable can cross the boundary into another report.

HTH
IP IP Logged
bpmcnary

Quote bpmcnary Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:14am
Hi Lockwell,

Thanks for the response. I am currently using shared variables, the problem is is that it shares the last total asset number (there would be two in a fund family) in the report.

So if Fund A was 1 dollar and Fund B was 2 dollars, it would share the 2 dollars down. Fund A and Fund B run together, so when you run the reports you get two sets of financial statements. What i'm looking to do is define a shared variable for just the Fund A number or Fund B number.
Thanks,
Brandon
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:21am
if both of the sections of report that access the shared variable are using the same shared variable, then only 1 result will prevail.

it's like have a joint checking account. 2 people write checks, which is the last check written/processed. So in this case, FundA would need its own variable as would FundB...where it gets complex is if there are x Funds being tracked.

If that were the case, I would use a shared array, and would have a 'naming' convention (or another array) to match the funds to their value (it can even be the fund name + the value...say FundA|xyz. It would take more work, but I think that something like is what you are after...unless there are always only x funds, then you could just create the variables.

HTH
IP IP Logged
bpmcnary

Quote bpmcnary Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 2:09pm
Hi Lockwelle,

This is exactly what I needed. In terms of syntax, this is what I wrote --

WhilePrintingRecords;

Shared NumberVar Array Assets;

IF {Main.Main Fund or Parallel Fund} = "Main Fund"

THEN Assets[1]:=

{@ Total Assets}

ELSE IF {Main.Main Fund or Parallel Fund} = "Paralell Fund"

THEN Assets[2]:=

{@Total Assets}

I'm getting an error saying that "a variable cannot be redeclared as a different type". This is my first time writing an array formula, so any help with this would be awesome. Also, in the case above, how would I referencing it in the below subreport for Fund A?

Would it be... Shared NumberVar Asset[1];  ?
Thanks!
Brandon

Edited by bpmcnary - 30 Sep 2013 at 2:12pm
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 4:57am
you would reference it the same. In the subreport you would start the formula as:
shared numbervar array Assets;

Then in the formula itself it would be Assets[1]

The error seems to imply that the value being returned by @Total Assets maybe a string one time and number another.   If it always returns a number, the only other thought is do you 'declare' the array to have 2 members?

I haven't used arrays too often as they are kind of limited in CR, so I might be missing something...

HTH
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version