Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Importing Reports Into Excel Post Reply Post New Topic
SOSteppenwolf

Online Status: Offline
Quote SOSteppenwolf Replybullet Topic: Importing Reports Into Excel
    Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 11:09am
I need to import Crystal Reports into Excel.

The typical response to this type of query is "don't worry about importing, just open the report in Crystal and export it to Excel." While that technically works, I want to eliminate the extra steps.

I've got some reports that are for executives and, frankly, asking them to open Crystal, export the data, copy/paste into the Excel, format/manipulate the data from there, and so on, is too much to ask.

My ideal solution is to simply have them open the Excel report, click a button to run a macro, viola! have the report updated.

Is there any way to do this? If so, what's the preferred method? I've toyed with connecting to MS Query, the database itself, going through Access..., all with no luck. I can pull in tables, but not finished reports.
I'm a accounting/finance guy by trade so please pardon the ignorance!
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Online Status: Offline
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 3:29am
a few ideas
you can create a 'live' connection in an excel file and just let them right click and refresh the data on demand but this requires imbedding a open password.

You can set up an SSIS package or its equivalent to export the data on a schedule, not using crystal at all

You can get a crystal add on (I use VisualCut) to set scheduled reports to burst files or emails. 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version