Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Sum of non-suppressed data Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
cpresk

Online Status: Offline
Quote cpresk Replybullet Topic: Sum of non-suppressed data
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:51am
I want to display a total of non-suppressed data in the Report Header. I can use Running Total to get the right number, but can't put that in the header. I'm suppressing data based on {table.id} = Previous ({table.id}). I've tried adding a field like this -

If {table.id} <> Previous ({table.id})
then {table.productsales}
else 0

That seems to work, but Crystal won't allow me to do a sum on that field. It says "This field cannot be summarized".

Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:00am
It won't let you use this because of the use of "Previous()".

It is possible, though. Will this be a single total for the report or does it need to be broken down in any way?

-Dell
IP IP Logged
cpresk

Quote cpresk Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:06am
Just a single total. If there is a way to filter the data out of the report entirely, instead of just suppressing it, that would be ideal.

Edited by cpresk - 24 Jan 2017 at 9:14am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:20am

The only way to remove the suppressed records is to use a Command, which is a SQL query. To learn more about how to use commands, see my blog post here:

https://blogs.sap.com/2015/04/01/best-practices-when-using-commands-with-crystal-reports/

What type of database are you connecting to? How are you grouping and sorting your data in the report? Can you post the SQL that Crystal is generating for your report along with the formula that's in the Select Expert? That way I can write you a query that will pull the data you need for the report.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
cpresk

Quote cpresk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:01am
SQL Query -
SELECT "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Store_Name__c", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Model_Number__c", "Call_Report__c"."Channel__c", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Status__c", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Date__c", "RecordType"."Name", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."of_Box_Stock_brought_to_shelf__c", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Id", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Is_the_SKU_present__c"
FROM   ("2020 Sales Organization"."2020 Sales Organization"."Call_Report_Entry__c" "Call_Report_Entry__c" INNER JOIN "2020 Sales Organization"."2020 Sales Organization"."Call_Report__c" "Call_Report__c" ON "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Store_Name__c"="Call_Report__c"."Store_Name__c") INNER JOIN "2020 Sales Organization"."2020 Sales Organization"."RecordType" "RecordType" ON "Call_Report_Entry__c"."RecordTypeId"="RecordType"."Id"
WHERE ("Call_Report_Entry__c"."Date__c">={d '2017-01-15'} AND "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Date__c"<={d '2017-01-21'}) AND "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Status__c"='Complete' AND "RecordType"."Name"='2020RK-SMM Walmart Modular Sku Compliance' AND "Call_Report__c"."Channel__c"='Walmart'
ORDER BY "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Id", "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Store_Name__c" DESC, "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Date__c" DESC, "Call_Report_Entry__c"."Status__c"

Select Expert Formula -

{Call_Report_Entry__c.Date__c} in LastFullWeek and
{Call_Report_Entry__c.Status__c} = "Complete" and
{Call_Report__c.Channel__c} = "Walmart" and
{RecordType.Name} = "2020RK-SMM Walmart Modular Sku Compliance"

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 8:11am
What type of database are you connecting to? I need to use some date functions with this and those tend to vary by database.

Also, is it correct to assume that all of the conditions in the Select Expert are static strings and not parameters that the user sets?

Finally, I don't see the product sales field in the query you sent me. Which field is it?

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 25 Jan 2017 at 8:13am
IP IP Logged
cpresk

Quote cpresk Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:36am
Honestly, I'm not sure what type of database it is...is there a way for me to tell using Crystal?

Yes, the conditions are static strings and in the field that equates to product sales is of_Box_Stock_brought_to_shelf__c.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:07am
Looking at this, I have something I'd like you to try first. On the Database menu, turn on "Select distinct records". Then turn off your suppression formula and determine whether that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, do you know which fields might be causing the duplicate data? Which fields are you actually showing on the report and which are used only in formulas?

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 25 Jan 2017 at 11:08am
IP IP Logged
cpresk

Quote cpresk Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:28am
That appears to have done the trick! Thank you so much! I've only tested it with a limited data set so far...it keeps timing out when I try the full set. I'm working on some things to speed it up.

I have a related, but slightly different issue with another report where I have records that aren't duplicates, but I don't want to show them in a chart. The scenario is multiple visits to the same store and I only want to chart the most recent visit. What is the best way to accomplish that?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 10:28am
That's definitely going to require a command. Assuming that the person visiting the store is a customer, here's the logic you'll use:

Select <all fields for your report>
From <all tables for your report>
inner join (
      select CustomerID, Max(VisitDate) as maxDate
      from <whatever table defines a visit>
      group by CustomerID) as maxVisit
on <visit table>.Customer ID = maxVisit.CustomerID
    and <visit table>.VisitDate = maxVisit.maxDate

Use the correct field and table names from your data.

Doing this in a join instead of the where clause will speed up the query as well.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version