Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Can Crystal Reports do what I need? Post Reply Post New Topic
MLEL

Online Status: Offline
Quote MLEL Replybullet Topic: Can Crystal Reports do what I need?
    Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 4:28am
Can Crystal Reports accept as input an Excel file where multiple rows of data are used to created one page of a report? And then break to a new page at a name change and repeat? The number of rows needed per name will vary for each name.

I work for a school whose student information system does not lend itself to creating a paper copy of student and teachers schedules. Because we have a fairly complicated schedule, a paper copy is truly needed. I can export an Excel file where each row has a student name and information for one of the student's courses (course name, block in which it runs, teacher and room). It takes multiple rows to create the complete list of courses for the term for each student. I have created a Crystal Report to accept and properly place the data, but cannot put all of the rows of a student on one page, breaking for the next student. I end up with multiple pages for each student with one course per page.

Is this even possible?

Thank you for your time.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 2:31am
not entirely sure I understand your data set but in general if you create a group on the student name (preferably a student ID as names may not be unique but you did not mention that as an option) you can create page breaks after the group footer to keep each students data together on unique pages. If a student has more data than can fit on the page it will print on two pages then do a page break after that.
IP IP Logged
MLEL

Quote MLEL Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 8:44am
Sigh. I added student ID and grouped by that but I still only get one row of data per page. I was wondering if the problem was that my report is a grid schedule and not a sequential row after row of report data.

The report contains 35 boxes that are essentially in a grid of 7 by 5. Each block number in a row of data corresponds to a pattern of 5 boxes in the grid. A student can have up to 6 rows of data, representing up to 6 classes that fit into the grid. The desired result is a visual of a student's day of 5 periods over a 7 day rotation.

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version