Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports .NET 2003 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: How to Handle Large Datasets for CR Post Reply Post New Topic
Dilip Nagle

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dilip Nagle Replybullet Topic: How to Handle Large Datasets for CR
    Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 9:24pm
Background:

1. There are times when you can not break a report in parts by giving ranges.

2. Thus, the Datset becomes very large and gives out of memory problems.

Is there a way whereby they use tmp disk file as a storage etc.? 

Problem:

How to handle large datasets in Crystal Reports?

Regards,

Dilip Nagle

Dilip Nagle
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 1:18pm
Crystal will ALWAYS use tmp disk space as storage, and it's not always very good a cleaning up after itself.  Look at the C:\Documents and Settings\<user ID>\Local Settings\Temp folder (you may have to set Windows Explorer to show hidden folders because Local Settings is usually hidden.)  You want to clear out this folder on a regular basis to recover disk space.

When you're working with large datasets, you want to do as much of the work as possible on the database server.  This means:
  1. Turn on "Use Indexes or Server for Speed" and "Perform Grouping on Server" in the Crystal Options screen and "Use Indexes or Server for Speed" in the report Options screen.
  2.  Group on fields not on formulas.  If you can't do this, you may want to consider using a command instead of tables (if your database will allow it.)
  3.  Select based on fields, not formulas.  If you can't do this, you may want to consider using a command instead of tables (if your database will allow it.)

The reason for items 2 and 3 is that if you use formulas, Crystal will will bring all of the data to the workstation and do its filtering/grouping in memory there instead of doing it on the server.  This also assumes that you're using a client/server database like MS SQL Server, Oracle, etc and not a file based database like MS Access, Paradox, dBase, etc.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Dilip Nagle

Quote Dilip Nagle Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 7:50pm
Dear Dell,

Thanks for your reply.

I do the following:

1. I do extensive filtering, sort orders etc in my SP on SQL Server(on the Server) and provide readymade cooked data to Crystal Report.

2. In groups, I use 'in original order' only.

3. The Temp size is quite large and there is more than enough capacity in Hard disk space available.

3. The question still remains unanswered as to why do I get 'out of memory exception' message while creating large datasets.

Kindly guide.

Regards,

Dilip Nagle

N.B. In this forum, I have also put up a question about 'Passing values to parameters used by a SP which is a datasource for a subreport'.
NOBODY has replied to it. Will you kindly have a look at it and help me?

Dilip Nagle
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 1:19am
Also, CR.NET 2003 is known for having bad memory and speed issues when reporting off the DataSet object. They rewrote the libraries for using DataSets for CR 10+ and CR.NET 2005+. Thus, this is a known issue for CR.NET 2003 and the best way to resolve it is to upgrade to a newer version with the more efficient DLLs.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version