Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Crystal XI Release 2 for BI Post Reply Post New Topic
iwebtech

Online Status: Offline
Quote iwebtech Replybullet Topic: Crystal XI Release 2 for BI
    Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 9:54am
does the crystal xi developer edition come with the release2 for BI and creating dashboards or thats something additional to be purchased as a license?

Akshay.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 3:44pm
By BI do you mean the BusinessObjects Enterprise software?  That does not come with Crystal and neither does the dashboarding - they're both separate licenses.  There are some ways to create dashboards with Crystal Xcelsius, but that's also another license.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 18 Mar 2007 at 3:45pm
IP IP Logged
iwebtech

Quote iwebtech Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 12:05am
So in short with Crystal XI Developer you cannot create dashboards / pie charts / bar charts etc?

Am I correct?

Akshay.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 5:47am

You CAN create charts but they are not dynamic.  You have to explicitly refresh the report to update the values.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
iwebtech

Quote iwebtech Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:05am
In Cystal XI where to create charts from? Am not able to get this?

Also refresh means which way? For eg, I have an asp linked to an rpt file which I call in my ASP, ASP.net application. When some data is modified in the table wont it reflect in the application when I open the page again or some kind of refresh happens i.e. some to and fro movement from server to client of the data?

Pls inform.

Akshay.
IP IP Logged
iwebtech

Quote iwebtech Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 6:12am
BusinessObjects Web Intelligence - what does this product do??

Is there a seperate license for this??

Kind Regards,
Akshay.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 10:19am
To get to graphs/charts, go to the Insert menu and select "Chart" and put the chart where you want it.  Right click on it and select "Options" to reformat it.  If you click on an object on the inside of the chart, then right-click in the white space in the chart, you can select the Chart Expert option to change the type of graph that's displayed.

By Refresh, I mean that the report doesn't automatically update when the data changes, only when the page is reloaded or the report is refreshed (there's a "Refresh" button in the viewer or you can refresh the data in code).

Web Intelligence (WebI) is another report creation tool that is available only within the BusinessObjects Enterprise software.  It's much easier for average users to use for ad-hoc type reporting.  The main reason that it's easier is that the users don't link directly to the database tables.  Instead, they build reports based on a "Universe" which is a meta-data layer, usually set up by someone in IT, that contains the tables, all of the links between the tables, pre-defined calculations (measures), and the fields (dimensions) from the tables with descriptive text names instead of the field names.  There's a lot of work that goes into building a uninverse, but in our situation it's been worth it to give our users access to the data in a controlled, fairly easy-to-use manner.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 19 Mar 2007 at 10:31am
IP IP Logged
iwebtech

Quote iwebtech Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 12:41am
What will be the approx license cost of WebBI?

Akshay.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 6:11am

You have to purchase BusinessObjects Enterprise - WebI doesn't exist outside of it.  If you get the Premium license, you'll have access to both Crystal and WebI in the software.  The Professional license gives you one or the other. 

Here in the States, I believe the premium license lists for $1500 per named user.  There's also a per-processor license available, but I'm not sure of the price.  Your best bet would be to contact your local BO sales rep to get pricing as they may be able to work out a better deal for you depending on the number of users you have.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version