Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: SQL formulas Book Post Reply Post New Topic
Lauraleigh99

Online Status: Offline
Quote Lauraleigh99 Replybullet Topic: SQL formulas Book
    Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 6:28am

I have been searching online for a book that teaches more in depth about Crystal Reports SQL formulas and I can't find much to choose from.

I would like to be able to understand how to create a formula from scratch, understand what the formula is saying, etc...  instead of just copying and pasting formulas into my report. 

Anyone know of a good book to get???
IP IP Logged
vallance

Quote vallance Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 9:40am
I am actually wondering this same thing. I haven't seen Brian's Formula book yet however, and it may be good. Have you gotten that one yet?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 11:22am
I can't say if my book is any good or not since I wrote it. But it's gotten great reviews on Amazon and people post good things about it on the forum as well. I have three chapters dedicated to how to write formulas as well as tutorials that walk you through common scenarios. The biggest difference is that since I get on the forum as much as my schedule allows, I get to see what everyone talks about as well as see what problems they have. Of course, if you aren't happy with the book, just send it back to Amazon (and please let me know why so I can make improvements in the next edition). And if you do like it, please post a review on Amazon as well. Since I'm a self-publisher, my only means of marketing the book is word of mouth.

-Brian

You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Lauraleigh99

Quote Lauraleigh99 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 5:21am

Brian~

I will definately buy your book and see what it is all about!  Thank you guys for helping! 

I just recently started teaching myself Crystal Reports 10 and have read about 5 different books about the program so far.  They were all great help to me in performing tasks with in the report, but not one of them went into detail about sql formulas, and if they did it was just a half of a chapter.  All books basically give you the formulas that you need to enter instead of teaching you how to create it on your own.

I will let you know how the book works for me!  And if anyone else knows of any other great SQL Formula books let me know!!!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 9:30am
Wait a minute. I take that back. My book covers writing formulas withing Crystal Reports using Crystal syntax or Basic syntax. This includes conditional formulas, record selection formula, etc. But I don't cover the syntax for writing formulas for Transact SQL. For that you would need a SQL specific book. Sorry.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Lauraleigh99

Quote Lauraleigh99 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 12:36pm
That is ok.  I will still order your book to read through and learn new things about Crystal!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version