Message Icon Topic: Dashboard Guages Post Reply Post New Topic
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote mikebird Replybullet Topic: Dashboard Guages
    Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 1:24pm
It's a lost topic!

My employer and various report requestors need me to provide guages for all sorts of key performance and SLA facts & figures on a brand new 60" flatscreen installed in the IT department, so far not turned on until I've produced the guages...! If I don't get this done I'll lose my contract!

Never touched dashboards before - I believe it can be done in XI without need for Xcelsius. I like the MacOS dashboard. I can import flash in Crystal 2008, which is what I'll be using, but can't see anything available for Crystal... Where do I start?

I've found .NET guages online but haven't used Crystal.NET and don't have SSRS at this company. I have made progress with reports relevant for each task, applicable to guages - I have grouped values ready to update every few seconds, but not lists of details or cross-tabs...
Life = luck (+/-) and effort (+/-). If you have no luck & make no effort, then you are dead
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2008 at 4:57pm
Have you looked at the dashboard sample report for CR 2008? It has gauges on it. If you are looking at historical data, then you don't need Xcelsius. That is only useful if you want to do 'what -if' scenarios and project data into the future months.

Also, CR can import flash, but I don't see why you would need it. Check out the sample reports and I really think this will help you out. Don't lose your contract!!! 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 1:27pm
Now I fully understand, Brian, Thanks! No requests to purchase Xcelsius! I just need up-to-the-minute KPI performance indicators for the IT Department.

But what is "the dashboard sample report for CR 2008"? And how do I create these guages? I already have the figures carefully calculated and ready to go into the guages and update every 5 seconds... 

Thanks
Life = luck (+/-) and effort (+/-). If you have no luck & make no effort, then you are dead
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 1:47pm
Got you!!

NOBODY told me these things were in charts!!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 5:34pm
Great!
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
mikebird
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mikebird Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 1:34am
The guages possible in CR 2008 are basic and black & white. Something I need to add is a minor needle giving monthly history alongside daily KPI... and more! Can this be done in Crystal, or do I need another tool? I see very pretty flash designs online, and I can import flash to Crystal.
As you said, I only need historical data, no forecasting yet
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 11:30am
Yes, the Crystal gauges aren't anything to get excited about. I haven't used them b/c they are lame. I know that the needle is colored and that you can put more than one needle on the gauge by putting multiple fields in the On Change Of list. That might get you what you need. 

The funny thing is that the Chart Expert window has a thumbnail of a gauge and the thumbnail looks much better than the actual thing.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version