Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Sorting Group Data Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
hdjim69

Online Status: Offline
Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Topic: Sorting Group Data
    Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 5:30am

Hello, I’m following the book CR Encyclopedia Pro XI Reports and just got done creating the Group By Intervals.rpt.  I have the groups Less then $10,000, $10,000 to $25,000 & Greater Then $25,000 setup and the report is working.  Now I want to go and SORT the detail records from highest to lowest amounts within each group.  However when I go into Report Sort Expert to select Customer.Last Year Sales it is grayed out!  Is this because it’s used in the Group By?  If so, how do I sort by this field within the detail section?

TIA

hd

IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 6:15am
I would create another group, inside of the interval, and set the sort order there.

Hope this helps
IP IP Logged
hdjim69

Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 6:26am
>I would create another group, inside of the interval, and set the sort order there.
You mean a group within a group?  I don't really want to group the data within the group, I just want to sort the detail records but the field I need to perform the sort is grayed out. 

the question is, if you use a field to group, can you also perform a detail sort on that field?
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 6:34am

I don't know about the sorting, since when I need to sort, I create a group.  My groups can be complex, and in many cases are handled by formulas for dynamic grouping.

When you think about it, grouping is just a way to order things, as it places them in an order that crystal can look at to break on. 

I guess the complete instructions would be to create a group within the group based on the field to sort on.  Then suppress the header and footer, and the report will appear to have sorted the data as desired.  You don't have to see or use the header/footer info.  You really ONLY care about how it looks.

While I realize that the answer may not be the one that you are initially seeking, it is a solution to the issue at hand.  I would thought that you could, but if it is grayed out...maybe not.
IP IP Logged
hdjim69

Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 9:31am
>When you think about it, grouping is just a way to order things, as it places them in an order that crystal can look at to break on. 
not sure that is the case or the rows would be already ordered.  They are grouped by dollar amount so a record fits within it's correct range but within that range of rows there is no order.  Your solution may work but it seems like a hack. there should be a way to order the records within a group based on the same field you used to group the records.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 11:02am
You can also create a forluma field = to the field you want to sort on and then sort on the formula field rather than the original field
IP IP Logged
hdjim69

Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 11:22am
I looked for a Sort function but there is none that I can see.  please explain how to do what you suggested.

Thx

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 11:27am
Create a formula field called something like "Last_Year_Sales _Sort" as
"Customer.Last Year Sales"
Go to the Record Sort Expert (the AtoZ button next to the select Expert).
Under Report Fields their should now be a field called "X-1 Last_Year_Sales _Sort". Click on it and then click on the over arrow to move it to the sort fields box. Under the Sort fields box you can choose Ascending or Descending.
IP IP Logged
hdjim69

Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 12:11pm

when i drag the sql field down into the main section of the formula expert i keep getting an error - the results must be a boolean.  I guess i need to read on, I'm not at the point in the book where we create formulas yet...:)

IP IP Logged
hdjim69

Quote hdjim69 Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2008 at 12:27pm
actually I figured out how to do it.  Not sure why it's this way but it works.  i went back and delted the group in the Group Expert.  Then I went back to Record Sort Expert and selected the report field Customer.Last Year's Sales and it was not grayed out now since I deleted the group that was using it. So I added this to the Sort Fields FIRST this time. Then I went back and created the groups in the Group Expert - Change Group Options and it's now sorting within each group on Customer.Last Year's Sales FIELD.  So it seems like you need to add the sort fields before you use them in a group by or that field will be grayed out.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version