Talk with the Author
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Talk with the Author
Message Icon Topic: Book Purchased Post Reply Post New Topic
chitemerere

Online Status: Offline
Quote chitemerere Replybullet Topic: Book Purchased
    Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 2:06am

I finally received a copy of  my Crystal Reports Encyclopedia .NET 2005/2008 Volume 2.  I have a couple of comments and questions on the content.

In chapter 1 starting from the bottom of page 21 up to the bottom of page 26, there is incorrect reference to fugures in the book.

In chapter 16 of the book, all the discussions on parameter values are on hard coded parameter values which makes this unsuitable in most production set up as in my industry where the application has to address dynamic parameter values being inputted by the user.  You do not address this subject from a programming point of view as opposed to using the default as is function coming with Crystal Reports.

In chapter 19 where you discuss the exporting method, you also assume hard coded parameter values.  how can you take care of the use of dynamic parameter values if for example one wants to use the ExportToEmail function?  In this chapter, the MailDestinationOption is also hard coded and makes this unpractical as one would want to change say the mail recipients, mail username and password.

Kindly comment.

Kind regards.

Chris
Chris
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:53pm
Hi Chris,

Thanks for letting me know about the incorrect figure references in Chapter 1. I can't believe I missed those.

Re dynamic parameters, this is a new functionality in Crystal Reports and they have not added it to the object model yet. Thus, dynamic parameters can't have runtime modifications made to them.

Re the email, the MailDestinationOptions class is where you can set the recipients, username and password. This is discussed starting on page 406.

I hope this helps,

Brian
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
chitemerere

Quote chitemerere Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 12:39am
Dear Brian

Many thanks for the response.

Regarding reference to page 406, does this work with exporting to mail where one has to give the report a parameter value using the enter parameter value dialogue box?  This is not addressed in the book.

Many thanks and regards
Chris
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 11:32am
When exporting to email (or anything else), you are exporting a report object. That report object is no different than the report object that gets printed on your screen or sent to the printer. Thus, if the report has parameters, you will need to use the code in Chapter 16 to set the parameter values prior to performing the export. The same applies if you want to modify the report objects. Do everything necessary prior to exporting.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version