Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Croos tab value Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
hcpro

Online Status: Offline
Quote hcpro Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:33am
ok i tried that it works as if i had no running total as a summarized field. In other words each cell counts how many new subs for that title that month instead of the accumulated amount for each month. See below...

The crosstab is reflecting the group numbers so i think the problem isn't the crosstab but how the running total is calculating the count of subs grouped by date then title.

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:52am
I think we may be complicating this. You just need a count of CustomerIDs per month per title. No Running total is necessary.
in your crosstab keep your colums as the date and your row as the Title but change your Summarized field to the CustomerID and summarize it as a Count or a DistinctCount. A count will include it more than once if it can appear more than ionce in these groupings. A DistinctCount will oply count it once per grouping even if it appears more than once.
IP IP Logged
hcpro

Quote hcpro Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:24am
Actually we got this to work. I did need the running total because we still wanted the cumulative total at a point in time (by month). The difference is we didn't need two groups just grouped on titles and used order date in our column in the cross tab grouping by month.

We had to throw in a sort at the report level by orderdate and that seemed to be the magic elixir. But we were unable to do running totals in cross tabs until today and couldn't have got this far without your help so much appreciated.

Actually just thought of something esle. The months were not new subs were added we are getting zeros in the cross tab instead of the cumulative total to that point. Seems strange. Any thoughts?

Edited by hcpro - 22 Apr 2009 at 11:27am
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:54am
Gotcha. Lost track of the cumulative total part Confused
Are there NULLS in the table? Running totals do not like them and may cause the problem you are describing. You could use a formula to convert the nulls into something else then count on that. Not sure exactly how as I am a not sure what data you actually have to use for it...
IP IP Logged
hcpro

Quote hcpro Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 1:04pm
From my guesstimation... it seems like when there are no new subs (customer id's original data) or new rows during a month it wants to put a zero instead of the cumulative sum up to that point. So we are still counting our subs it is just that not every month we have a subscriber or customer for every title. Seems like crystal doesn't know what to do so it inserts a 0 in those cells. Looks like this... zeros are the months where there are no new subs.

12/2005 1/2006 2/2006 3/2006
Administrator 636.00 657.00 663.00 ######
Assistant Administrator 104.00 106.00 106.00 173.00
Attorney/Consultant 900.00 910.00 916.00 930.00
CEO, President, Chief Administrator, Exec Dir, Partner, Board Member 678.00 678.00 0.00 701.00
CFO, VP Finance, Finance Director 79.00 0.00 0.00 88.00

IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 1:34pm
Makes sense. I would guess if no rows exist past a certain point there is no running total to create the value so it just stops at the last row and displays the 0 past it.
If you have not done so, maybe if you place the same running total field at the report footer it can display the totals through.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version