Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports for Java, rendering an OLE Objec Post Reply Post New Topic
westwood_nz

Online Status: Offline
Quote westwood_nz Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports for Java, rendering an OLE Objec
    Posted: 14 May 2009 at 11:21pm
Hi,

I am using the Crystal Reports for Eclipse 2.0 ( cr4e_2.0.0 ) in my Java web application.
Also I am using the Crystal Report Developer (or designer) version 11.5.3 to design my reports.
All the rendering so far has been fine when I'm using sections, field parameters etc. However right now I want to embed a Microsoft word document table inside of my report. I'm inserting this as an OLE Object inside of my report.
The preview of this OLE object is fine in the designer, however, when I render this page inside of my
Java web application, the text inside of the table gets pushed up a little bit making the text appear outside of a few of the table cells. I have tried fiddling around with it but to no avail.

The question is that is this happening because I am using the crystal report for eclipse Java viewer at runtime? Or there are a few settings
that I can play with to produce a nicely fitted table?

If this can not be done with Crystal Reports, then how can I add a normal table to my report?

Thank you very much for your time.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:18am
I am going to say that I am at a loss...all reports in Crystal are just tables, so what do mean by a 'normal table'?  How they report looks, is up to you, so if you don't lay it out as you desire...

if you want lines around each cell, expand the size of the cells so that they touch each other and go into the properties (format field) and turn the borders on.
IP IP Logged
westwood_nz

Quote westwood_nz Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2009 at 5:28pm
Hi thanks for your reply,

I was asking about the OLE object and how it was rendered badly.

But in regards to having a table in crystal reports, I'm fairly new and did not know that everything in crystal is just tables. However I'm more interested in formatting the text inside of a text object to be included in a table? I believe what you mentioned about turning the borders option on is about fields themselves but not the text. How is a table inside of a text object inserted?

I have pre made forms in Microsoft Word which I have to enter into crystal reports.. I'm thinking the easiest way of doing this is to insert the word document as an OLE object. Would anyone know why the word document OLE object is being rendered badly at runtime?

Thanks in advance

IP IP Logged
westwood_nz

Quote westwood_nz Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 4:55pm
I found out why I was having this probelm. This is because OLE objects (other than pictures) are unsupported for Crystal Reports for Eclipse at runtime.

you can check it out on the following link for What's New in Crystal Reports for Eclipse 2.0

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/p...d-8d9b73a6e365

However knowing that how is one supposed to draw a table and render it in the Java runtime version?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 5:36pm
I think you are asking about how to create a " normal table" that is really a crosstab.
Is this correct?
If so, Crystal has a crosstab function that you can use. Explaining how would be based on what kind of crosstab you want and how your data is set up to support it. It has a fairly basic process to walk you through building it.
If you need help with this just post an explanation of the desired result and the data behind it and someone can assist.
Hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
westwood_nz

Quote westwood_nz Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:42pm
Hi DBlank

Cross-tabs are used in reports to present summarized data in a row/column structure, similar to that of a spreadsheets.  What I'm looking for is just to how to draw a 'table' in my report! Just a plain normal table, with this table I'm going to enter text and some parameter fields. Surely this is something supported and easily done with Crystal reports ??
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:50pm
There is no such function. However you can just use the line insert to "draw" a table and then insert text objects or parameter fields in the "cells".
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:56pm
or this goes back to lockwelles suggestion of adding borders to your text or parameter objects and butting them up against one another to mimic a "table".
IP IP Logged
westwood_nz

Quote westwood_nz Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 9:26pm
thanks mate! I'll design the report according to those techniques! Although I'm surprised that there is no table function!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version