Announcements
 Crystal Reports Forum : General Information : Announcements
Message Icon Topic: slow crystal Report Post Reply Post New Topic
guptamkomal

Online Status: Offline
Quote guptamkomal Replybullet Topic: slow crystal Report
    Posted: 10 May 2007 at 4:33am
Hi to all,

I am new to crystal report,Kindly help me .
I am Using Crystal report XI with ASP.Net.I am populating my report using Sql Query, and my query is providing only relevent data only.
When my report  is accessible by multiple user it become very slow,how to speed up it, Pls provide me proper solution as soon as possible.

Regards,
  Komal.
Komal Gupta ,21 Years,S/W Programmer
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2007 at 7:18am
A lot of this is going to depend on the resources that are available on your web server.  How much memory does it have?  How fast/powerful is the processor?  You can run Task Manager on the web server to see if all of the processor or lots of memory is being used when you have this slow condition.

How much disk space is available on your C drive?  Crystal can take up a LOT of drive space when generating a report - look in the C:\Documents and Settings\<User name>\Local Settings\Temp folder for the ID that the website uses and see if there are excess .rpt files (or you could search for *.rpt on the C drive) and clear it out periodically as Crystal is not always good about cleaning up after itself, especially when reports fail or a user closes the viewer before the report is complete.

You might also be running into network bandwidth issues with lots of connections to the database.

-Dell

Edited by hilfy - 10 May 2007 at 7:18am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2007 at 11:52am
Also check that your report doesn't show the total number of pages at the bottom. That makes the server take a big hit in the beginning to generate the full report. Otherwise it will generate it on a per page basis and this makes it run faster.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
guptamkomal

Quote guptamkomal Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2007 at 4:27am

HI,

Thanks for the reply
The above all solution does not help me out, Pls provide me some other sloution as soon as possible, Its very urgent.

Regards,
     Komal
Komal Gupta ,21 Years,S/W Programmer
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2007 at 11:51am

For this particular issue with the web server, we can only give the general guidelines we've laid out above.   I would recommend opening Task Manager on your webserver and looking at CPU and Memory usage to see if they're very high or maxed out on the server.  This particular type of slow report is not a Crystal problem, it's a server resources problem.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
mailannamalai

Quote mailannamalai Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 8:08am
Hi,

Is this problem still persist?

I may think of this situation and would like to know what type of SQL Query you are using in crystal and you also need to see the indexing on table for the fields that are being used in the report.

Create proper index and fine tune your query and always it will be good to have a stored procedure in place of a direct query in crystal so that it will make your report faster.

Yours Anna
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2007 at 10:46am
Yeah, and also check your SQL Query to see if the record selection formula is getting passed down to the server or not. You really want the server to do as much work as possible. Also, get a book on Crystal Reports (either mine or George Peck's XI book) and look at the chapter on optimizing report speed. There are a lot of options for speeding up reports and its just not possible to list everything here.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
hareeshvs

Quote hareeshvs Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 9:43pm
Hi,
Can you please tell me how to generate report on per page basis?

Regards,
Hareesh
Hareesh V.S
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version