Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Help!!!! Post Reply Post New Topic
ionutmanole

Online Status: Offline
Quote ionutmanole Replybullet Topic: Help!!!!
    Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 12:56am
It is possible to make a Crystal Report at run time?(including .rpt file)
I'am working in VS2005. I need this because the number of columns i want to be variable.
V!RU$
IP IP Logged
mist83

Quote mist83 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 9:03am
As far as I know, this is not possible. The Crystal Reports API is limited in what it can do in terms of modifying layout of an existing report, and many of the exposed properties you would need to do so are read only.

What's worse, much of the functionality to rearrange items that are already present on an existing report do not work as expected (try creating a LineObject on a report through the designer and move it programmatically to see what I'm talking about).

If you find otherwise, please let me know. I used to be in the same boat, but had to bag the concept or dynamically creating the report after giving it a month or more of constant work.

If you're using Reflector, you can probably attempt to learn the nuances of CR and create a binary rpt file through code, but my assumption is that .NET Crystal is nothing more than a wrapper around the same codebase CR has had for years - so if custom client facing reports is important to you, your time would likely be best spent evaluating other software (or even designing your own, depending on your requirements).

Mick
IP IP Logged
ionutmanole

Quote ionutmanole Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 11:22pm
I found a way to do it but not with crystal reports. Here is the link:
Look for "Generate RDLC dynamically " on that page.
Good luck!Smile
V!RU$
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version