Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Help - Total Newbie and Panicked... Post Reply Post New Topic
melibeth2001

Online Status: Offline
Quote melibeth2001 Replybullet Topic: Help - Total Newbie and Panicked...
    Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 9:08am
Hi there,
I'm totally new to the Crystal Reports world, though the database my company has been using (which I administer) uses CR to generate reports.  I have a staff member in much need of a custom report and, as might be the case for many of us, I've no funding to get the report written for me.  Sooo, we've invested in CR ourselves and I'm on my own to learn it...

I'm pretty good at click and learn and I'm willing to hit a button and try, but I've run into some difficulty in CR.  For all my self-taught prowess, this has gotten the best of me.

I'm connected to my db via odbc.  No problem there.
I'm pulling record info in a letter... no problem there.  Individual records are coming up...names and addy's in right places.

I need a sub form at the bottom...a receipt of all gifts given over a specified date period for the same record that the letter is addressed to.  I've tried utilizing a pre-set form that almost does what we need, but form parameters and code seems to be getting in my way. 

Anyone out there got a few minutes to spare to help me get the links on this right?  (p.s. don't understand the table links for some reason.)

Thanks!
-Mel
Mel
IP IP Logged
Thunter

Quote Thunter Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 10:01am
If you have a "sub-form" already that works you could put it in a sub-report.  What you must have is some key in the tables to link the two together with.  Would need to see what your doing or more information to give better directions.
Terry W Hunter
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 7:31am
what might be another way to look at reporting is:
write a stored proc that gets all the data that you need.  Obviously, for this, or any report, you can't get all of the data in one row, but you can get all the customer data, and then the gift data.

Multiple lines, each with customer and a gift.

You can create a group for the customer. In the group header you can put the the form letter part (let's say) and in the details, you can list the gifts.

If you are skilled in SQL, use the backend to manage the data, and Crystal to display it.  Linking tables is not hard, it would follow the data in your DB most likely joining tables on the foreign keys, but a script is SOOOO much more in versatility.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version