Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Issue: top half of every letter (all text) cut off Post Reply Post New Topic
domls

Online Status: Offline
Quote domls Replybullet Topic: Issue: top half of every letter (all text) cut off
    Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 9:20am

I've been having this problem for a couple of years now.  I have just completed writing a new program for a client. The program has several Crystal Reports in it, and if I can't fix the issue in the reports, it could be a deal-breaker.

The symptom is that about 50% of the time, when a report is generated, the text on each and every line in the document is cut in half vertically, in other words, for every word in every line of text, the top half of each letter is cut off.  I have many, many printouts proving this.  I have also seen this when exporting as PDF, but never saved the file.

I have tried a hundred different solutions, but none have proved to be successful on a permanent basis.  I've tried:
1) Different fonts and sizes
2) Making sure the height of every text box is bigger than needed
3) I always set the Can Grow to True, but that doesn't help
4) The only solution that works some of the time is this:
Let's say I have a text object. I go in and edit the text so that IN FRONT OF THE TEXT THAT I WANT, I PUT A CARRIAGE RETURN (I.E. HIT THE ENTER KEY).  Or, if I have a parameter field, when I set the parameter value (programmaticallY), I always add a vbCrLf in front of the text that I want.  Then, MOST of the time, I don't get the cut-off text.

VS 2005, VB.NET, Crystal Reports 12.0.2000 (as listed in Project References for the engine, which I believe is CR 2008) FULL VERSION, Win XP MCE

BTW, this happens in EVERY project that I create.  And it happens on the client's PC's as well.

Please...if anyone has also seen this and has a solution or fix, let me know ASAP.

Thanks to all!

domls
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 6:39am
Sorry, I can't help, as I have never had this happen.  Since this has been happening for years, the only thought is that your Crystal Reports is having some sort of issue.  I am assuming that your reports preview correctly, but for some reason your report wants to double size of your font (the additional cr/lf implies this).

Since it happens in every project, it would seem to point to something in your system.

Is this a web app or a console app.  I have only worked on console, but if it is web, perhaps there is another interaction that I am unaware of.

Again, I have never seen this, so don't really have a solution.

Sorry

Edited by lockwelle - 02 Sep 2009 at 6:40am
IP IP Logged
qxface

Quote qxface Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:55am
This is a pretty old thread, but I'm having the same problem.

The reports look fine in preview mode:

But, at run time, every field is cut off:

I also see that the data is kind of weird at run time. However, if I take the datatable that's feeding the crystal report and shove it into a dataGridView, I can see that everything looks fine.

This is happening in ALL reports in a project, existing and band new.
It is NOT happening to existing or new reports in different projects in the same solution.
IP IP Logged
domls

Quote domls Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:22am
Hi,

I remember this issue well--it was so frustrating.

I finally found out the cause of the problem when I started a new project using only Crystal Reports, with no other components.  What I ultimately found was that the IOCOMP version 3.0.4 component was the culprit!

If I started a new project without using IOCOMP 3.0.4, all reports looked okay.  But, as soon as I added an IOCOMP tool from the IOCOMP toolbox, then the reports would have the cut-off text.  I never knew that one component could mess up another one.

My solution was to upgrade to IOCOMP 3.0.8 and I've never had a problem since then.

If you're not using IOCOMP, then I would suggest that you start a new, clean project, and bring in your reports.  Then eliminate the culprit component by using each one until the issue appears.

Regards,

domls
domls
IP IP Logged
qxface

Quote qxface Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:42am
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I'm not using IOCOMP or any other fancy tools.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to "reboot" the project like you suggest, putting it back together piece by piece.
IP IP Logged
domls

Quote domls Replybullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:56am
Boy, that's frustrating.  Sorry for the troubles, because I know how time-consuming (and a waste of time) this problem is.

I'm glad that you posted the sample of the cut-off text, because it's exactly (a perfect representation of) what I was experiencing at the time.

I suspect that something must be interfering in the same way that IOCOMP was interfering with mine.

Good luck...

Best Regards,

domls
domls
IP IP Logged
CircleD

Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 6:50pm
It looks to me like your font size is too large for the field size.Or the area for the lines are crowding the fields and covering them up partially.Just for the heck of it remove a line and see if  the fields below it print correctly.
IP IP Logged
domls

Quote domls Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:31pm
Hi CircleD,

Thanks for the input.Wink

Actually, I spent WEEKS if not months trying to solve this issue.  And, believe me, up until I found the true solution, which was interference from the IOCOMP 3.0.4 component, I had tried EVERYTHING, including font sizing and much, much, more.  And I'm not saying that it's IOCOMP's fault, I'm just saying that when using IOCOMP 3.0.4 with the CR version listed above, and VS 2005, that's when this incredible issue occurs.

The answer at that time was to abandon the usage of IOCOMP 3.0.4 and use IOCOMP 3.0.8.

I am long-since past this issue, because everything I do is now using VS 2010, CR 13.0.2000.0, and IOCOMP 4.0.4.

Regards,

domls
domls
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version