Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports & Visual Studio Post Reply Post New Topic
jessiemacmillan

Online Status: Offline
Quote jessiemacmillan Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports & Visual Studio
    Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 9:00am
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this question, so forgive me if this should be elsewhere. I'm not even sure I know how to ask the question!

We are installing a SQL application that integrates with Crystal Reports. I need the functionality of the Crystal Reports Repository but we don't need Crystal Reports Server. We purchased Visual Studio 2008 through TechSoup, which provides tech products to non-profits for deeply discounted prices, because I learned that I could set up a Crystal Reports Repository in Visual Studio.

I'm not a developer and do not plan to code Crystal Reports in VB or C, at least to start. I also have Crystal Reports XI & 2008.

I've read that the full CR is better than what comes with VS, so I want to develop reports within CR but use VS as a repository of functions. I've spent some time with VS Help to try to figure out how to get started but I'm not having any luck. Can someone point me in the right direction? Once I know the starting point or even how to ask the question, I should be OK.

Jessie
IP IP Logged
jessiemacmillan

Online Status: Offline
Quote jessiemacmillan Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 1:29pm
I've found a partial answer to my question.

To integrate the full version of Crystal Reports 2008 with Visual Studio 2008, you need to install CR2008 for VS2008; it's a feature that is not automatically installed when you install CR2008.

Next, you need to download and install Visual Studio Integration Manager (http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/crystalreports-dotnet?rid=/webcontent/uuid/80b94ac6-da77-2b10-dbbc-82b0c113d999). When you run it, you'll find that the current version of CR is Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio. You want to select Crystal Reports 2008(12.0) as the new version.

Whew!

Now I'm going to work on how to use VS as my function repository.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version