Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports With Great Plains Post Reply Post New Topic
kevinday17

Online Status: Offline
Quote kevinday17 Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports With Great Plains
    Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 2:48pm
I have just started to learn Crystal Reports since my company owns CR XI as well as crystal server and nobody here knows how to use it any more.  I got a book, took a class (they have free classes in San Diego) and am having some fun creating reports.

Here's the question.

If someone else is using Great Plains (which runs on SQL server), would we be able to share reports that we created and just set the proper datasource location?  I imagine that the tables are the same, just used differently in different companies.  Is this possible and if so, is there somewhere that we can drop reports and check out other people's?  I guess my initial problem with being new is that I still don't have a full concept of all that CR can do for me.  I suspect it is almost limitless in terms of looking at what I want.

Nice to be a part of the forum.

Kevin
IP IP Logged
RobV

Online Status: Offline
Quote RobV Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2007 at 9:11am
Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum.

I see no reason why what you are trying to do would not be possible. I do not and have not used Great Plains. However I have clients/colleagues in the states that do. They have never mentioned any difficulties.

I oversee a large ERP solution myself and the installations are normally (not ALWAYS) identical. I would have thought the main problems would be the initial part of the path (Drive name, primary folders etc). But as you have said this would be easily resolved using the Set Datasource Location module within Crystal (Database>Set Datasource Location). I use this function quite often to migrate reports created on local copy data to the main server.

Final thought..... give it a go.

As for sharing reports. Have not got a clue. Have you tried some of the Great Plains forums that allow file sharing? www.mibuso.com may be of some help.

Crystal is wonderful... in the right hands (side glance at srecretary).

Take it easy.

RobV
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version