Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports Not closing Sessions Post Reply Post New Topic
snu155

Online Status: Offline
Quote snu155 Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports Not closing Sessions
    Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:37am
Hi we are running a Crystal Enterprise Server and we have reports published for users.

Looking at the Manager interace I see that all of our 41 sessions are in use, however we only have 5-10 people in our department currently trying to use the system.

This is a production box with other Web Apps on it, we are considering restarting IIS to clear out the sessions.

looking at the database I see 4 users connected, and I know we do not have 41 users online.

Is reseting IIS the only way to clear out the users?  Forgive me I'm very new to CR, is there a way to prevent this, or an administrative setting I could check to make sure that the sessions are being abandoned properly.
Brad
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 12:35pm
The proper way to ensure the session count doesn’t get this high is to train your users to click the logoff button when they are done.  I am not sure what version you are using but essentially yes you can control the time out session for Crystal Server.

There are four real places that determine the overall user session.  These being the logon token, the web session, the enterprise session and the cms fail over token.

What is of particular interest to you is the Web Applications session and the Enterprise session.

The Web Session time-out is what the customer may change.  This can be done by modifying the web.xml file of the desired application.  Ex. If you wanted to change the web session timeout, you would need to change the web.xml file for InfoView.  Or alternatively for .NET it would be the web.config file.

The default timeout for this is 20 minutes and can be adjusted as stated.  Once the Web application times out, the Enterprise Session will wait for 10 minutes from the last communication of the Web Applciation.  Once this occurs it will then be invalidated and then decrement the CMS session count.

So an example would be if you set the Web Application session timeout to 3 mintues, it could still take anywhere from 7 min to 13(conservatively 14/15) to decrement the user session and free a CAL.

If you need further help with how to configure this, if you are under maintenance you can contact your support representative.  Hope this helps!
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version