Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How Do You Add A New Detail Section? Post Reply Post New Topic
txdave36

Online Status: Offline
Quote txdave36 Replybullet Topic: How Do You Add A New Detail Section?
    Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:50am
Hi guys,

I am new to Crystal, and every freaking tutorial only shows how to add fiels horizontally across on the detail section.

I want to add field data vertically, and since the detail section is so small, I need to create a new detail section.

I clicked in the gray area on the left side and selected insert new detail section. Unfortunately, this mixes section B with section A, and all my records get jumbled together. How can I make section B completely underneath section A?

Here is a screenshot:

IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 11:04am
You do not do it with mulitple detail sections, you would have to add a group and put the 'details' in the footer of the group.

Of course maybe you are missing how CR works in general.  I am not really sure what you are trying to accomplish.  You can expand the detail section vertically and put more fields in it.
IP IP Logged
flanman

Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 12:03pm
I've done this in the past.  To separate detail sectionA and B just use a horizontal line below A or above B to give the data separation. Also you can supress either one if you don't need to display either one.
IP IP Logged
txdave36

Quote txdave36 Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 12:42pm
Well I want my data to display like this:

AGTY_SYS_CD     TOTAl RETIREES    NEW RETIREES

ASPRS                 429
AJRS                   65
APERS                  77
ADJRS             24,369               116

DISABLED -        4

Disabled is another field in my data that I want add underneath. The detail section only gives me room to add a single field line.

I tried grabbing the bottom bar of the detail section and stretching it, but it creates a lot of white space between my records. SO frustrating. Hopefully these screenshots can illustrate what I'm talking about:

Thanks!
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 7:53am
I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.  It appears you do not need more space for details.  You had a second detail line, but that did not achieve what you were looking for. 

You say you have another field called 'disabled' that you want to add underneath. 

Do you want it on a second line below the first line of fields ({AGTY_SYS_CD}, {TOTAL_RETIREES], {NEW_RETIRES})?  Or does 'disabled' supposed to be displayed at the end of the report?   Or am I missing the point entirely?

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
txdave36

Quote txdave36 Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 9:04am
Sorry for the confusion. I want disabled to show on a 2nd line right below the first line of fields. I have like 20 fields. There is no way I can put them all across on a single line and the report fit on one page.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 9:51am
Well would it be okay to put it the white space below the first line of fields?  You can shrink the details section after you placed the 'disabled' field in there (either manually or right clicking on the left side and selecting 'Fit Section').
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version