Tips and Tricks
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Tips and Tricks
Message Icon Topic: Running on deamnd reports with paramters from GUI Post Reply Post New Topic
vk3ujc

Online Status: Offline
Quote vk3ujc Replybullet Topic: Running on deamnd reports with paramters from GUI
    Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 2:18pm
Can anyone give me some basic help on how to run reports on demand with parametres passed in from a user GUI?

We have a SQL database and are currently developing a PHP web GUI user interface for it. The PHP will run under Apache Web server.

The PHP code validates the users, and allows them to view some data and make updates to the rest of the system and will run on a dedicated server (actually a VM server)
We need to be able to display data form the GUI and want to use Crystal Reports for this (We already have expertise in creating and running reports by those with Crystal Developer installed on their PC's).

We don’t want the users to have a copy of Crystal Reports Developer but they need to be able to run a previously developed report with specific parameters on demand that will be collected by the GUI and then the PHP code executes code or a script to run the report with those parameters..

What do we need on the server to allow this and how do we run the report passing in the parameters from the GUI?  We want to get the report output passed back and displayed on screen preferably as a PDF file so they can save it or print it if desired.

I have tried asking the retailers but they are all trying to sell us $100K solutions and we are certain that we can do it without this cost.

Most likely to develop the Crystal Report  in current versions as we will need to purcahse a few new developer copies to allow for a few advanced users to create their own reports.  If it can't be done in current versions what older ones can it be done it ( I have 9 and 10 developer)

Thanks in advance

VK3UJC
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 3:34am
Alas, I don't know anything about PHP/web interfaces, but we run reports through our app and of course the theory is the same.  You can create a report and have the user directly enter the parameters into the report, then the report can fetch the data and display, or you can have a form that lists possible values for the parameters, and update the parameters in the report and the report fetch the data and display, or you can have the users select/enter the values of the parameters fetch it through the app and pass it to the report.  There aren't very many dlls that you need to include in your project, and while I don't know what they off-hand, Business Objects should be able to help with what is needed for web developing.

I know that my answer is vague, but I am pretty sure that if you own a copy of CR, that you have everything that you need to create/post/run reports on a web server and to access it programatically.  I would start at SAP/Business Objects to see what they have to say...also .Net forums here might be of help.

HTH
IP IP Logged
vk3ujc

Quote vk3ujc Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 2:40pm
I tried contacting SAP/Business Objects - they are tryign to seel us a $75K solution - soemthign we are not paying

I thought the runtime comes with the developer package - its figurign out what we need to copy onto the server adn how to call it that I need to know so I am hoping soemone may have doen it before and be abel to tell me
VK3UJC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version