Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Balance Sheet using Initial Balances Post Reply Post New Topic
TPBosworth

Online Status: Offline
Quote TPBosworth Replybullet Topic: Balance Sheet using Initial Balances
    Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 8:51am
The Appendix A in Brian's book, Crystal Reports Encyclopedia, has been a lifesaver for me - a Crystal newbie.  I have successfully created a complex Income Statement and am oh-so-close on the balance sheet.  The problem I have with the balance sheet is incorporating Initial Account Balances for all cases.  Specifically, picture 2 tables:
ACGL contains:
GLACCTNO
ACCTTYPE
INITIALBAL

ACJOURN contains
GLACCTNO
AMT

I did a Left Outer Join to include all accounts from ACGL and I use arrays to group and total the amounts.  This works perfectly for all accounts that have had a transaction within the stated time period.  I have a formula that adds INITIALBAL + sum(AMT, GLACCTNO).  However, certain accounts are relatively static and I cannot seem to find a way to pull through the INITIALBAL if there are no transactions in ACJOURN.

Would love some advice!
Thanks.

Edited by TPBosworth - 19 Jun 2008 at 8:52am
Peace,
TPBoz
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:56am
I'm confused, is the left outer join not working? If there is a transaction in ACGL, but not in ACJOURN, then you should still have the account listed on the report since it is in the left-most table. Am I reading this wrong?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
sirlansa

Quote sirlansa Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2008 at 1:23pm
TBP, did you ever get this working?

LEFT OUTER JOIN doesn't always work for me, especially when I'm working with a SS database and something else (e.g. Informix). It acts like an INNER JOIN, so I'm missing all rows that aren't in both tables.

Brian, have you seen this problem before? If it's due to the cross-database situation, I'd like to know how to implement your suggestion in the Tip on p. 400 of Vol. 1 of your book. How can I get SQL server to 'connect' to the secondary (Informix) database, so those tables look like SS tables to CR ??
Sir Lansa
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version