Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: two columns problem Post Reply Post New Topic
robiman

Online Status: Offline
Quote robiman Replybullet Topic: two columns problem
    Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 1:01am
I have a Group section with Details section, that should present data in two rows. My problem is that I need "down then accross" functionality, but not in a way CR wants me to. CR starts a new column only when first column reaches end of page. But I need to have two columns for each Group section. So if there are 14 details for Group 1, I need 7-7 details shown, and if the next Group 2 has 9 details, I need 5-4 details shown etc.

I tried to suppress details based on result of "RecordNumber mod 2" formula (if it returns 0 - show in first column, if not - show in second), but with no success.

I've lost almost all hope to solve this, so you're my last resort.Wink

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 12:58pm
Interesting question. The only way I can think of doing this is pretty off the wall. I would create a two column report. In the first column put your field. In the second column use a formula with the NextValue() function. That way you can display the next value even though CR hasn't officially displayed it yet.

This will work except that the next record will get printed again on the second row. So you need to use the Mod function to suppress the even rows. That way the second record only shows up once on the report.

Strange, but I think it should work.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
robiman

Quote robiman Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 11:48pm
Thanks, I've tried that, it works, but it's not what I'm looking for. What I really want is this - if I have 9 detail records in a section, I want to print:

1   6
2   7
3   8
4   9

And on the next section, 6 details should be like:

1   4
2   5
3   6

I'm not sure this can be done easily, since the report has to "jump" from bottom of one column to the top of another. I was thinking, is it possible to limit the height of the Detail section? Perhaps this way the report would be "forced" to start from top after bottom of the section was reached.
IP IP Logged
robiman

Quote robiman Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 6:00am
Any ideas yet?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version