Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dataset Tables Not Linking Post Reply Post New Topic
BernieHunt

Online Status: Offline
Quote BernieHunt Replybullet Topic: Dataset Tables Not Linking
    Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 11:17pm
I have a report that links to a dataset that has two tables. One is patient demographic data and the other bills for the patients. Both tables have a field called PatientID that links them together.

The report is set to group by the patient's last name. The data sources is set to link the two tables with an outer join enforced both ways on the PatientID.

When the report is displayed, it does not more to a new group when two patients have the same last name. I have verified this by displaying the PatientID filed in the details section.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bernie

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 10:13am

Since you are grouping on last name, then the report won't look at the first name and thus won't break them apart. Why aren't you grouping by Patient ID? You can still sort by last name by going into the Group Options dialog box.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BernieHunt

Quote BernieHunt Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by BrianBischof

Why aren't you grouping by Patient ID?

I don't honestly know, hahahaha. This is some code from 3 or 4 years ago that used to work. I suspect the fields got changed along the way and nobody noticed. I had to use some fancy footwork to copy and paste the fields an formating into the new grouping, but it looks like all is well.

Thanks for helping me out Brian. I was trying to out think Crystal and figure new record equals new group. I guess that's way friends don't let friend code when they are tired.

BTW, great books!

Bernie
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2008 at 4:04pm
Haha, I've done similar things. You try to make a square peg fit into a round hole and forget that the round peg would be much better. 

Glad you like the books! I just approved the final proofs for CR.NET 2008 book and it should be in the bookstores in a few weeks. 

You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.

Edited by BrianBischof - 14 Oct 2008 at 4:05pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version