Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Excel database, month and year comparisons Post Reply Post New Topic
Nyoshu

Online Status: Offline
Quote Nyoshu Replybullet Topic: Excel database, month and year comparisons
    Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 4:27am

Hello everyone,

I've been checking out the forum a bit and there seems to be some really knowledgeable people, so I thought I'd pose a question.

I've created an Excel add-in using VSTO, and I'm hoping to add report capability to this. To be brief; most of the work is done off of one workbook, but there is another workbook that contains data going back to 2007. There's a spreadsheet in that workbook for every month of 2007, a summary spreadsheet for 2007, a spreadsheet for every month of 2008, a 2008 summary, every month of 2009, and so on.

I want the user to be able to click a button, and pull, for example, an 'Invoices' report. They can then choose to view the summarized data for a single month (Salesperson, product, etc.), or view the summarized data for 2 months and compare them. Also, the ability to view the data for a single month, and also offer comparisons for 1 mo, 3mo, and 6mo ago would be amazing.

Now, while I feel I could figure this out, my problem comes when we get to information that hasn't been created yet. I want this to be able to last for a while, so I need to be able to plan for the future (months for 2010, 2011, etc). This is what I'm not sure how to do. How can I code and design a report to take care of data that hasn't happened yet? As far as pulling the data, I can simply disable or hide the options until that month has come, but I want to go about this the smartest way.

I hope that's clear. Any help or a point in the right direction would be appreciated!

Oh, and as far as using excel as a database; I know there are much better options, but this is what I'm stuck with for the time being :)

Thanks!

S.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 7:09am
I would think that part of the solution would be to present the user with a list of worksheets that are available.  How this would drive the reporting is going to be up to you.  This would allow you programmatically plan for the future as new tabs would be handled as soon as they are created.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Nyoshu

Quote Nyoshu Replybullet Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 7:11am
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it, since it's pretty simple.

Just supply the user with a list of the spreadsheets available for comparison, and as the new tabs are created each month, add them to the list.

Thanks for the help!
IP IP Logged
Vertex

Quote Vertex Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 9:50am
hello...plz give me solution for date range display on crystal report
for this condition....

For Today

For Yeaterday

For this week
Starting date of Week end Date of week

For last week