Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Beginning and Ending Balances Post Reply Post New Topic
InOverMyHead

Online Status: Offline
Quote InOverMyHead Replybullet Topic: Beginning and Ending Balances
    Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 11:07am
Hi everyone,

So I started this new job and opened my big mouth. I had never used Crystal Reports before and yet there I stood, volunteering to learn it and immediately start writing reports.

Well that was 3 weeks ago, since then I have come a long ways with only sheer bloody mindedness to work with.

We use Timberline w/Job Cost for our Accounting software. I have successfully written severals reports, except I can't for the life of me figure out how to include Beginning and Ending Balances for a specific time period, or ANY time period! HELP!!

Can somebody please rescue me from myself!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 11:24am
Congrats on making so much progress on your own! CR can be a bit intimidating to be thrown into all at once.

What problem are you running into with the balances? What makes them uniques that you can't add them but you can add the daily balances? I've never used Timberline so I have no idea what type of data structure it uses.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
InOverMyHead

Quote InOverMyHead Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 11:31am
Well is what I'm trying to do is run a report with parameters set for a certain date range ie: 04/01/07 thru 04/30/07. But I want the balance included for the beginning of time thru 04/01/07 for that account/bank.

Example:

Account # ABC 123
Description              Accounting Date          Amount
Deposit                         04/01/07               100.00
Check                            04/15/07             (150.00)
Adjustment                    04/30/07               20.00

Beginning Balance as of 04/01/07          25,000.00
Activity                                                         (30.00)
Ending Balance as of 04/30/07               24,970.00

IP IP Logged
InOverMyHead

Quote InOverMyHead Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 11:37am
Also I have been collecting Crystal Reports books that have been helping me along the way. I have already downloaded your free ebook (Thanks BTW!)

I don't know if your .net book would help me any since none of the reports I'm writing will be in amy other format then excel, pdf, and hard copy?

If it can help or if you can recommend any other books, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I have no experience in data base administration, or any IT fields, and am basically a newb at all things technical. So I have no idea what most of my books are even talking about!

BUT I WILL LEARN!!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2007 at 12:32pm
Interesting. I'll send you a PM in a minute. Got something to ask you about.

Anyway, back to the question. I'm thinking that you could do a subreport to generate the subtotal for the beginning balance (using shared variables). Another option is to create a group that is defines 'Beginning Balances' and 'Activity'. Then do a subtotal on the group field. You have the option of using conditional formulas to suppress the detail section for historical activity.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version