Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: asp or .net Post Reply Post New Topic
parakyar

Online Status: Offline
Quote parakyar Replybullet Topic: asp or .net
    Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 8:16pm
Hello and thank you for a very informative website/book!

I am new to CR, but still cannot figure out how to post reports on my asp pages. I know the question has been asked before in this forum and the answer was that you can save this as HTML. But I have 2 problems with that

One, I cannot save or preview in HTML. There is no "save as.. html" option and when I try previewing, I get "Error connecting to server from socket API:0. Please check the name of the RAS server". I checked the name in "File-Options-smart tag and html preview" and it appears to be accurate...

Second, if I save as html, won't it be a static webpage with static data? I need this to be a dynamically updated report with real data being updated.

Thanks again!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 9:57pm
First off, thanks for the compliment!

Secondly, I don't know why you can't export to HTML or what that error message is. Are you using CR Server to deliver reports? I think you are having issues with the setup of Crystal Reports and that needs to be resolved first. Do you have a report admin you can ask for help?

Re exporting to HTML, yes, this is a static report. To make it dynamic you can use ASP.NET and put a report viewer object on your web page. This makes the report load fresh data for each user.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
parakyar

Quote parakyar Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 10:21pm
Brian, I have Crystal Reports XI developer edition.

Is there a good source of documentation for creating viewer objects in asp.net ? do I need a different CR edition/version for that?

thanks!
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2007 at 11:02pm
Do you have VS.NET 2005? That's what you need for the best environment. My book covers .NET 2003 and a lot of it still applies, but I need to get it updated fast b/c there isn't anything else that covers .NET 2005. I suggest going to the CR developer site and checking out their white papers and help files.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
parakyar

Quote parakyar Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 7:25am
Thanks

Will Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition work? or do I need full Visual Studio?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2007 at 11:08am
You need full Visual Studio Professional. CR is not included in the lower versions.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version