Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Creating a Dynamic Report as a Table from a List Post Reply Post New Topic
trixtur

Online Status: Offline
Quote trixtur Replybullet Topic: Creating a Dynamic Report as a Table from a List
    Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 3:25pm
I'm really new to Crystal Reports, and I'd be lying if I were to say it hasn't been a struggle. I work as a Software Engineer at a home automation company, and for 8 months I created an maintained their reporting system. All of which was done in ActiveReports by Data Dynamics. Now I'm working on a private project and only have a license to use Crystal Reports.

I'd be happy to buy the book if I could be sure it will have the information I need, here is what I'm trying to do:

I have a Dictionary containing an object that I have created (All the data is local, no connecting to a SQL Server). The object is basically a data set. It has tons of member variables, and getter/setter functions for them, and thats it. What I would like to do is be able to display columns and rows similar to Excel that display selected pieces of the information in those objects for different reports. If possible it would also be nice to be able to export these reports to Excel.

I have been looking around for about a week, and I cannot seem to find a simple solution for creating dynamic reports. Ideally I'd like to be able to create the report dynamically and fill in the fields as required for each report. If I can avoid having to create .rpt files it would be great! Can this be done, and does the book explain how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

-Trix
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2007 at 3:42pm
Well, you can't do what you want, but there are a couple work arounds. The first being to make the SQL dynamic and use aliases for each field. In your select stament use an alias for each column name 'Col1', "Col2', etc. That way you can change the SQL around and CR still sees the same field names. The second idea is that CR XI R2 allows dynamic report creation in their new licensing. You have to start with an existing blank report, but you can add report objects from there. 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
zos18

Quote zos18 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jan 2008 at 2:07am
hello

i have the same problem... i need to create reports on runtime. I searced on intenret, i read books, I have CR XI R2 SP2 but i cant'n do anything with it. Can you hellp me with some examples? something simple, for example how to create some text objects and field obects  or foruma objects form Vb or c#... PLS

Regards,
Ovidius.

(sorry for my enghlish, i'm form romania)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version