Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Table of Contents Post Reply Post New Topic
Kenx125

Online Status: Offline
Quote Kenx125 Replybullet Topic: Table of Contents
    Posted: 20 Jul 2007 at 8:08am
Hi guys,
I am totally new to CR. I wanted to find out whether CR supports toc functionality. I will create a master report that consists of say 5 subreports. s1,s2,s3,s4,s5.  Is it possible to display the sub report names and page details in a master report toc?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2007 at 8:45am
You can do it at the END of the report, but not at the beginning of the report. This is because the CR doesn't know which page something will appear on until after it's printed. Thus, you have to wait till the end to print the TOC.

If you want to print to TOC at the end of the report, you will have to create an array and then use formulas to populate it with the current page number of each group heading. If you're a "SQL God" then there is a way to update the database table in SQL with the page numbers of the report and then refresh the report so that it prints these page numbers at the beginning of the report. This can be found in the CR knowledge base articles, but this is advanced material.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Kenx125

Quote Kenx125 Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2007 at 12:00pm
Many thanks for the response brian. I have been working with rs2005. It also has the same problem. It does not support toc functionality. But as a workaround i have written a custom assembly that writes to the database and stores the relv details in the database table. But there seems no way to control this refresh aspect of the workaround. At least with CR you can refresh twice, whereas with RS2005 you have to programmatically run subreprts first before calling the master that pull data from database in toc table object. So it seems that whichever solution i choose it will be a nightmare to get working perfectly. So you can either have the toc at the end or write to the database. Well i have read your analysis between the two versions and now have to decide which route to take. Well i guess i fell into the trap of RS2005 due to the fact it was supplied with SQL SERVERCry. Hmmmmmmm! maybe its time to look into CRSmile.

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 20 Jul 2007 at 12:37pm
I posted an interesting response to an RS 2005 question a while back. I was going to put it in the FAQ, but don't have time. You can search for it here. Basically, MS is rewriting the RS 2005 rendering engine due to the large number of complaints they've been getting. This is not a decision that a company makes on a whim. Clearly, there are some unhappy RS customers. Granted, CR is not cake walk either and there is lots I would change about it, but I find it interesting that MS would rewrite their product after being out for only a couple of years.

Edited by BrianBischof - 20 Jul 2007 at 12:38pm
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version