Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: CR 12 & SQL Svr 2008 on same PC Post Reply Post New Topic
moondoggy

Online Status: Offline
Quote moondoggy Replybullet Topic: CR 12 & SQL Svr 2008 on same PC
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm

I am a new user of MS SQL Server and Crystal Reports. I installed the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2008 R2 (full version) and Crystal Reports 2008 SP3 on my HP Notebook PC running Windows 7 Professional. Both software packages reside on the C: drive.

I want to access databases on SQL from CR using the ODBC feature, but I am having some trouble making the connection.

I researched the Forum for a solution to this data connectivity issue and found some references to the User ID and Password for the "server" being passed to CR.

I am the sole user (with full Administrator rights) of the computer and it's not connected to a network. I don't need a User ID and Password to open the MS SQL Server Management Studio. Crystal Reports opens normally.

I have two questions:

1. Can Crystal Reports access the source databases in MS SQL Server if both software packages are installed on the same computer/C: drive? 

2. If my current software configuration is acceptable, what is the best way to make the connection between CR and SS?

I have some knowledge of the process, but I am very new to this business.

I am pleased to join the Forum. What do you recommend?

Edited by moondoggy - 29 Oct 2010 at 5:52am
reh
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:46am

1.  Yes.

2.  Create a System DSN ODBC connection before opening Crystal - I'm not sure where this happens on Windows 7, in earlier versions of Windows it's in Admininstrative Tools|Data Connections (ODBC).  Test your connection and make sure it works.

You could also try to use an OLEDB connection instead of ODBC.

-Dell

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version