Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: 2008 Subreport Post Reply Post New Topic
WernerCD

Online Status: Offline
Quote WernerCD Replybullet Topic: 2008 Subreport
    Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 6:47am
I'm trying to do this...

I have a two databases.

The first database I have a list of users and dates. Using a date as a parameter, I get a list of users for that day. The second database has a list of billing info for users.

I want to put a parameter in the main report... and for each record in the main report, pull the bill for that user.

SELECT User FROM Tbl_1 WHERE Date = Yesterday

Would it be possible to either have the sub-report ran for each record in the main report?

SELECT Bill from Tbl_2 WHERE User = ?

OR have a list built for a Select * From Tbl2 Where user in ({LIST})?

SELECT Bill from Tbl_2 WHERE User in {List_Of_Users}
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:58am

if you place the subreport in either the group section if youa re grouping on the user record or on the detail section if you are not grouping you can simply link the main report to the sub report on the user and it will act as a filter (it will become a param in the sub report).

That being said why are you using a sub report rather than just grouping on the user in tha main report? Sub reports really kill performance.
IP IP Logged
WernerCD

Quote WernerCD Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:56am
Without going into a rant or extreme detail... Database2 is dated, slow, basic and very messy to deal with. If I do anything more than basic select statements, the return time increases drastically.

So my goal is to do all the select, joins, case statement on Database1, then for each record in results pull bill from Database2.

Just as an example... Doing the select by date on DB1 takes seconds. A similar select in DB2 (Select users on a couple joined tables where date = yesterday, this in that, etc) takes 10 minutes to run. While "select bill from table where user = ?" is almost instant.

I've tried quite a few things and for some reason the Sub Report doesn't seem to be getting the user as a parameter and I can't seem to figure out why. I'll post more detail shortly about how I've got it setup and maybe something will stand out.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:09am
when you place the sub report in the main report you can right click on it and select
Change Subreport Links
in available fields select user
move to fields to link to
match it to the user field in the subreport

Edited by DBlank - 09 Nov 2010 at 6:09am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version