Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Datasource matching - technical Post Reply Post New Topic
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Topic: Datasource matching - technical
    Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:42pm
I just recently ran into an issue getting some reports that I created for a customer to run in their reports viewer.

My client does not have Crystal Reports designer. Instead they have a report viewer built into their helpdesk application (Frontrange HEAT). This viewer is %100 supported by SAP because they license it to Frontrange. Also, Crystal Reports has special .dlls made for HEAT.... back to the issue.

My client asked me to create some custom reports and set them up to be viewed through HEAT. I created the reports and set them up in the report viewer. Every report that I created failed with a "field name is not known" error.Confused

Keep in mind that I built these reports off-line with a copy of their DB running on my SQL server. I used the same DSN name for my connection as the client uses for theirs.

I THOUGHT that it would be enough to use the same DSN name but that is clearly not correct. I fixed the problem by loading a 30 day eval on one of their machines and resetting the Datasource connection. BUT.......

What I would like to know is what can I do in the future to ensure that the reports that I create off-line will run on my clients viewers when I deliver them.  Is there some setting that I can make to the report? Is there some hidden metadata that I'm not aware of?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by tdavenport - 19 Mar 2009 at 2:43pm
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
sixexeter

Quote sixexeter Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 3:52am
Hi

I know that this post is pretty old, but have you any idea about how this issue was solved?

Has anyone came across the same issue recently?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:19am
Kinda of...but its possible the solution will work only under certain circumstances.

My first mistake was trying to use the same DSN name. Instead I created an ODBC connection to my offline database and used a unique name. When the reports reader sees that it doesn't have a connection by that name, it will attempt to use its default connection.

Again, I think this solution is limited to this product but the underlying problem is that my DSN names were the same but the database connections were entirely different. The report reader used it's dsn connection and not the one configured in the report.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version