Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Using a user-defined function in a Crystal report Post Reply Post New Topic
gabby

Online Status: Offline
Quote gabby Replybullet Topic: Using a user-defined function in a Crystal report
    Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 4:21pm

To understand what I am asking, suppose I have a table named Orders that has a Create_date field and the database also has a dbo.ssWEEKBEG user-defined function that I want to apply to it. I am creating a Crystal Reports Viewer object that will display the results of Create_date and dbo.ssWEEKBEG(Create_date).

Am I required to create a view that includes the results of  dbo.ssWEEKBEG(Create_date) as one of the views?

Is it possible to call the dbo.ssWEEKBEG function from within the report?

I have verified that I am unable to add dbo.ssWEEKBEG(Create_date) to the data selected for the report.

Also, once I set up the data to use in the report, can I edit the SQL statement that Crystal uses?

"Aim high. You may miss, but at least you won't shoot your foot off." - Lois McMaster Bujold
IP IP Logged
jkwrpc

Quote jkwrpc Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 5:57pm
Once again I am not on ground I know.  However, I do understand you can create your CR against a stored procedure. That being the case can you not run your user function from through execution of a stored proc.

The discussion of stored proc is in CR help under ' stored procedures '

Regards,

John W.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 8:38pm
I'm with John on this one. I haven't called a custom SQL function either, but I would use a command object and put it in the SELECT statement. Of course, putting it in a stored procedure also works.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 8:39pm
Oh yeah - you can't edit the SQL that CR creates. But you can use a command object to write it yourself.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version